The Cemetery

Chilili, New Mexico

The Cemetery Chilili Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Unusual Tin Grave Marker May 13, 2008
One of the many places we decided to visit after checking RoadsideAmerica.com was this unusual cemetery in Chilili, New Mexico. Chilili is a very small community of just about a hundred citizens in the rolling hills of New Mexico, about an hours drive from Albuquerque. It is the home of tombstones and memorial plaques made of sheets of tin. One man, named Horace McAfee did all the work by punching out the letters and numbers with a hammer and nail, certainly a very time consuming job that took lots of patience and concentration. He has passed away now but the cemetery is a testament to his work. Is it unique and different? Absolutely! Is it worth driving at least an hour out of your way to see and photograph? Only if you like that kind of thing.
Judes_Girl says:
I discovered this on Roadside America's website as well. Cool...wish it was closer to me because I'd love to visit it.
Posted on: Jan 12, 2013
LeighTravelClub says:
Very different!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About The Cemetery

Chilili, NM
From Amarillo we spent quite some time driving because our next stop was very near Albuquerque, New Mexico. It required we get off I-40 and go south for about 25 miles and then west a few miles and t…Chilili. We had no address, and all we were looking for was the cemetery. This is a very unusual one, on what…

Check Chilili Hotel Deals