The Cellar

(847) 864-8678

The Cellar Evanston Reviews

mayerel mayerel
Good food, bad service May 14, 2012
Based on food alone, I would have given this place 4 or even 5 stars. The small portion sizes allow you to try many options and each plate is done very well. The butter and salt flight was very good and not something I had had anywhere else. We also enjoyed the scallops and the squash ravioli. For dessert I had the trio of creme brulee and it was absolutely delicious.

I had two issues with this place. The first- the wine list. From the information online and how they represented themselves on their website, I expected a lot more wine options i.e. a wine bar. Sadly, I was wrong and there were only about 12 wines total to order from (around 6 white and 6 red) They had a drink menu as well, but I was really expecting more focus on wine.

My second, and truly my biggest issue was the waitstaff. My friend and I went here because it was about an equal drive for both of us and looked good. We had not seen each other in 6 months. We told our waiter, we'd like to order our food in waves (a dish or two at a time) and he seemed to huff at that. We were there from about 7:15 until about 10 on a Friday night. During that time our waiter seemed increasingly frustrated with us still being there (mind you there was no wait at the door). He would not come when we tried to flag him down- literally he was standing at the front desk and my friend was trying to flag him down for 5 minutes! At some point in the night he disappeared and other random waitstaff started waiting on us, we had no idea who they were or what had happened to our original waiter. There was one person who was kind- I wish I had gotten his name, he was a tall, Black gentleman. They took plates before we were finished, seemed increasingly annoyed we were still there and would not come for long periods of time or would come every few seconds. It was very frustrating and had I been able to find a manager, I would have. I am normally an 18-20% tipper, more when I'm at your table for 3 hours, but in this case, not a chance.

I think I'll give them a second chance because the food really is good, but the waitstaff was very unkind.

Check Evanston Hotel Deals