The Cellar Restaurant

+44 (0)1333 310378

The Cellar Restaurant Anstruther Reviews

mfmcp1982 mfmcp1982
Amazing Modern Seafood Feb 14, 2008
This one of my favourite restaurants in the world. The atmosphere is amazing, the food divine, the wine cellar extensive and from what I can tell excellent, and the staff very friendly and charming.

I've been here for birthday dinners and Valentine's Dinners, and it's never been a disappointment. When you first arrive I'll admit I wondered what we'd come go through a stone archway into a small courtyard - which had a child's bike and a big cat in it - and then you enter the restaurant through a low door. You're then in the lounge, which has two sofas, and four easy chairs. Here you are offered canapés - often haddock vol-au-vents - and given the wine list and menu, as well as offered drinks. When we went for Valentine's we chose glasses of pink champagne - I thought it was very sensible they offered it by the glass because people then chose a bottle of wine with their meal, rather than being stuck with bubbles all night.

Once your table is ready you are led through to the dining area, which is split in two. The top end is more private because it's more closed off and has around 7 tables, the bases of which are converted sewing machines. The lower end has 4 tables (we were here on Valentine's 2008). Very quickly our wine was brought to the table and decanted into a large glass flacon, with the cork attached to the neck by elastic band.

The food is to die for. Mark had a creamy haddock omelette to start and I had a trio of smoked salmon and we both sampled bits of each others! The portions are excellent sizes and left has excited about our main courses, which didn't disappoint.

The Cellar is pretty much a fish restaurant, with many of the ingredients caught fresh that day and brought in at the harbour just 200 metres away. But they also offer steak. Mark chose this, and considering he likes his steak extremely well done the chef did a good was cooked right through (no pink - Mark's battle cry) and was still succulent and tasty. I think I had sea bass with a pesto crust, mashed potatoes and al dente root vegetables and it was also wonderful.

The deserts are a brilliant way to round of your meal. I often have the crème brulee, and Mark had his usual of vanilla ice cream which he said was delicious.

Coffees and homemade petit fours finish the experience perfectly.

The Cellar isn't cheap, but it's also not the most expensive of places. I think our 3 course Valentine's Meal for 2 (not a set or restricted menu), including a bottle of Chianti and two glasses of pink champagne came to around £120. You could pay that or more in places of a lesser standard, especially on February 14th.

It's not the kind of place you would go to every couple of weeks - much more a special occassion restaurant.

We will be back to The Cellar without a doubt - we're just trying to figure out when!
marksreynolds says:
Very nice review :) If we are ever in Scotland, we'll be sure to give this place a try.
Posted on: Jul 04, 2008