The Canterbury Tales

The Canterbury Tales - Things happening all around

The Canterbury Tales Reviews

goezi goezi
Bold Knights, men in tights and wimples Apr 17, 2009
I have always been a fan of Chaucer's series of tales, as they pass on lessons in life from the 17th century that we may still learn from today. Each has a moral and is based on the darker choices people make, such as theft, murder, adultery etc.

The Canterbury Tales is a tourist attraction based on Chaucer's stories and played out by mechanical puppets as we move from room to room listening on our audio devices. We passed it a couple of times before we had time to go in. There always seemed to be a line of people waiting to enter.

I don't think the tales were ever really meant for children but to alleviate the boredom young ones have the chance to dress up as their favourite character before the show starts.

If you aren't familiar with the tales I can explain that they are a series of tales told by travellers making their way to Canterbury. Each story teller (Knight, Miller, Lady, Priest & Pardoner) tries to outdo the other by telling the best tale.

As we move around the inside of the building we seem to weave along the road with the travellers. Each scene sees one of the characters story unfold. Though the scenes are quite static the play of lights and the use of aroma and sounds add humour and theatrics.

The tales end when we arrive at the cathedral. For us the adventure ends by negotiating our way out through the souvenir shop.

Ticket prices weren’t painful but we visited Canterbury Tales before we visited the Cathedral and our entry fee to the Cathedral came with a discount for this attraction so I suggest you reverse our order and make the most of it.
Chaucer's introduction
The Canterbury Tales venue
Start of the journey
Things happening all around
goezi says:
I haven't sung since 2002 and I am now leading rehearsal for our National Anthem. All the Kiwis are a bit stunned at my "hidden talent". Nothing special but they're easily impressed.
We have our big performance on Thursday so keep an eye out over the weekend and I'll try to get the story up.
C
Posted on: Sep 28, 2009
goezi says:
Kia ora Deborah and Britt. Thanks for your comments on the review and I have to say it was worth the wait to get in here.
I've seen Chaucer's plays on stage and always wanted to perform in them myself but never had the chance.
This was a great reminder. One day!!!
C
Posted on: Sep 28, 2009
williamsworld says:
You have such interesting experiences. Thanks for sharing them with the world.

Cheers, Britt
Posted on: Sep 25, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About The Canterbury Tales

4.20.2009 Canterbury Tales
4.20.2009    Canterbury Tales   Today was a tale of an epic journey retracing the historic pilgrimage of Canterbury Tales- okay that was overly dramatic.  But we enjoyed th…Canterbury Tales   Today was a tale of an epic journey retracing the historic pilgrimage of Canterbury Tales
The Canterbury Pilgrim
Say the word Canterbury and the first thing that comes to mind is Canterbury Tales. Say Canterbury Tales and the next thing that comes to mind is that BBC production that stars the awful Bi…Canterbury Tales . Say Canterbury Tales and the next thing that comes to mind is that BBC production…
Canterbury
The next morning I jumped on a train (I didn't forget anything this time) and took off for Canterbury.  I was forced to read the Canterbury tales in school, and I also remembered the story of Th…Canterbury tales in school, and I also remembered the story of Thomas Beckett, so I decided to check the place…

Check Canterbury Hotel Deals