The Bund Tourist Tunnel

Shanghai, China
The Bund Tourist Tunnel - The Bund Tourist Tunnel.
The Bund Tourist Tunnel - light show in the Bund tourist tunnel
The Bund Tourist Tunnel - another view in the tourist tunnel

The Bund Tourist Tunnel Shanghai Reviews

stevemco stevemco
The Bund Tourist Tunnel Oct 31, 2009
Well... it's one way to get to the other side of the river! I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. IOW's it's a convenient form of transportation opposed to a spectacular 'ride'.
Ann_Hells Ann_Hells
Shanghai Tourist Tunnel Jul 07, 2008
With reviews in the Lonely Planet guide that said this would leave visitors amazed and perplexed, I absolutely had to try it. I ran into it when we were trying to find the subway, it is located underground in an area full of games and people selling corn on the cob.

My father and I got the two trip ticket which turns out a lot cheaper than a one way. We got into a car with a couple other people. The ride goes slowly so you don't need to even sit down.

Through a series of flickering lights and spectrum color changes, a man with a deep voice kept saying very odd words. "hot magma, space twirls" I still can't make any sense out of it.

The good thing is that it is very convenient, the entrance is right by the bund and it leaves you just a block away from the oriental pearl tower.

At the exit there was a sign saying "Shanghai tourist tunnel, first in our country!" yes... please make more.

The ride back was even worse (or better?)it's one of those things that is so cheesy and nonsensical that it's great.
LeighTravelClub LeighTra…
Dec 08, 2007
The tourist tunnel is perhaps the cheesiest activity you'll find in all of Shanghai. Its psychedelic light show will make you groan, but that's exactly what makes it so amusing. Kids love it; adults are utterly perplexed by its oddity. Nevertheless, it remains the most convenient way for pedestrians to cross the river from the Bund to Pudong's Riverside Promenade and nearby Oriental Pearl TV Tower.

The entrance can be a bit tricky to find. On the west side of the river at the northern end of the Bund, you'll see a sign for it over stairs that go under the street. On the east side of the river, you'll find the tourist tunnel entrance opposite the front door to the convention center hotel (the riverside building that's shaped like the globe).

Here is a link to some video I took here.

The Bund Tourist Tunnel.
tvillingmarit says:
Wow, nice
Posted on: Dec 09, 2007
portia portia
Jun 02, 2004
The tourist tunnel is this tunnel that goes between the Pudong area and the Bund in Shanghai under the Huangpu river. It's really not that interesting and I suppose kitsch is a good adjective for it, so I would not do it unless I am just going to cross the river and this is one way to do it. You go into this train with windows so you can see the lights in the tunnel, which flashes and swirls on the tunnel wall as your little train car goes by. It took about 5 minutes so I suppose it's faster than taking a taxi over the bridge.
light show in the Bund tourist tun…
another view in the tourist tunnel

Check Shanghai Hotel Deals