The Buena Vista

2765 Hyde Street, San Francisco, CA, USA

The Buena Vista San Francisco Reviews

Africancrab Africanc…
The Irish Coffee at Buena Vista in San Francisco May 25, 2009
If you do not take coffee, you may want to start taking coffee just before you travel to San Francisco (smile). The Buena Vista Cafe on Hyde makes the original Irish coffee that was served over half a century ago.

For any day in San Francisco, there is nothing more enjoyable than a cup of Irish Coffee. Joe and I had originally planned to meet some travbuddies for coffee here so we arrived in time to meet, non of them showed, but we did have a good time with three cups of coffee each.

The process of making it is very intriguing. Coffee is prepared fresh and one can smell the aroma of frshly brewing coffee, two cubes of sugar is put in a small coffe cup (more like a small wine glass) and coffee added to three quart full. Sugar is stired in a two strok manner and Irish whiskey added then a cream topping.

You have not had coffee like this before. Highly recommended.
My glass of Irish Coffee
The Bar
The bartender
poohstanggt poohstan…
Irish Coffee!!! May 24, 2008
I've been coming to the Buena Vista for years thanks to an old boss who got me addicted to the Irish Coffees my first time there. The Buena Vista is located on Hyde by the cable car station and is credited with bringing the Irish Coffee to America.

In 1952, the owner (Jack Koeppler) of the Buena Vista, challenged the international travel writer, Stanton Delaplane to help recreate the Irish Coffee that Koeppler had in the Shannon Airport in Ireland. They spent a considerable amount of time perfecting this, including a trip to the Ireland Airport to taste it again! It took some considerable effort and trials to recreate the true Irish Coffee but they finally perfected it.

The Buena Vista has food available too but I've never eaten anything there, only come for the Irish coffees! There is also a smaller location in the San Francisco airport as well located in the United Terminal gates.

Related Travel Blogs About The Buena Vista

San Francisco Conference
I was in San Francisco for three days to attend a legal conference for work which involved some incredibly nice dinners and cocktail parties.  A couple of us managed to find a few moments of tim…Buena Vista. I've been to San Francisco quite a number of times but have never done the cable cars…

Check San Francisco Hotel Deals