The Buckhorn Exchange

www.buckhorn.com - 303-534-9505

The Buckhorn Exchange Denver Reviews

denisx denisx
Try it at least once Sep 03, 2013
I've seen and heard about this place for years on the Travel Channel and Food Network. The oldest restaurant in Denver (owner of the first Colorado liquor license). It's known for serving game meat. I'm always up to try new foods, so I was exctited to get the chance to eat there. It wasn't bad. Definitely worth it to go at least once and experience it. It's filled with animal heads lining the walls

I got there at 5-ish. The dining room wasn't open yet, so I went upstairs to the bar. 2 for 1 wine, beer, and wells was the special. They had jalapeno poppers and potato wedges out as appetizers. I ordered rocky mountain oysters as well. Like I said, I'm always up to try new things. They were really good. They're sliced thin, breaded and fried. They come with 2 dipping sauces.

For dinner I ordered the elk and buffalo plate. Loved the buffalo. The elk was good too, but I preferred the buffalo. They're known for their ham and bean soup, so I chose it instead of a salad. It needed more spice for my taste.
Jamal1280 Jamal1280
Good place for game meat Oct 25, 2011
My sister knows that I'm an adventurous eater that likes to try new things. So when I told her that I'd be visiting her in Denver, she recommended that we go to The Buckhorn Exchange. The name of the place sounded familiar, and I later realized why - it was featured on an episode of Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel. Adam Richman visited this place before trying the food challenge at another Denver restaurant (Jack N Grill, which I also went to - review coming soon).

Founded in 1893, The Buckhorn Exchange is the oldest restaurant in Denver. The specialize in serving wild game meat, including elk, buffalo, and quail, among other meats. The game meat was interesting in itself, but I was eager to try what Adam Richman tried - namely, the Rocky Mountain Oysters, also known as bull testicles. :) Yessssss!!!

The "oysters" were an appetizer ($10.75 USD) to enjoy before my meal, which I decided would be the evening's special of elk and buffalo steaks with garlic mashed potatoes and a bowl of salmon bisque (total, a whopping $41 USD).

The bisque arrived first, along with some bread and butter for the table. The salmon bisque was good and predictably salmony...a little too salmony, actually. It's bursting with flavor, so if you like salmon, this is definitely something you should try. To tame the taste a little, I made good use of the bread.

Then the "oysters" (bull testicle) arrived. I was expecting to be presented with a giant ball filled with...well, use your imagination LOL. :P Actually, Buckhorn chops the testicle up, dips the pieces in a batters and deep fries them. They are served with cocktail sauce and what the restaurant claims is horseradish sauce, but actually tasted more like seasoned sour cream (which was still pretty good).

The verdict? I had to eat a few pieces to really pin down the flavor. Basically, it tasted somewhat like country-fried steak with a bit of a barnyard flavor, if that makes sense. That's the best way I can describe it. My sister was horrified that I was eating them at all LOL. But bull testicle is a popular item at Buckhorn Exchange. I wasn't the first customer to eat them, and I'll be far from the last! :P

My meal arrived before I had even finished the "oysters" (I did eventually eat them all, save one piece that my sister let my nephew try. He liked it lol). Buffalo meat is admittedly something I've eaten quite a bit of, so no surprise there. It tastes somewhat like beef, but with a leaner taste to it. And the elk steak? Well, elk truly tastes like elk. I can't really compare it to anything that I've ever eaten. It's somewhat beef-like, but not really. You'd have to try it yourself to understand.

I was so full after all this food that I didn't even think about eating dessert. Neither did my sister or nephew, who ended up taking whatever food they didn't finish home with them.

If you're in the Denver area and want to eat something unique, I highly recommend the Buckhorn Exchange. Just remember to make reservations, and be prepared to spend a healthy amount of money. :)
This plaque proclaims that The Buc…
Country western decor. It reminded…
Jamal1280 says:
Lol Thanks Glynnes and Rudolph :) Yeah, Rudolph, based on your past culinary experiences, this place is right up your alley :)
Posted on: Dec 17, 2011
Sweetski says:
Maybe you find my trips interesting, but they sure as h*ll can't beat your culinary experience in Denver :D

Thanks for sharing this great review, and if I ever make it to Denver and have the balls for it (pun intended) I might try eating at The Buckhorn Exchange. :)
Posted on: Dec 17, 2011
Glynnes says:
Nice review and photos. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2011
Ed_MBA Ed_MBA
A wonderful experience of the old west Jun 22, 2008
A client and I were on our way into LoDo to enjoy Stolli-Dole' at the Capital Grille when he commented that his wife had attended a corporate dinner at The Buckhorn Exchange. Always on the hunt for something new, I set the GPS and we were on our way.

The Buckhorn Exchange is 'near the tracks' in many ways. It was one of the original 'first stops' when you got off the train in the late 1800's. Over time, the neighborhood has changed...is run-down - but is being reclaimed as urbanization takes over Denver. Parking was not a problem, as we pulled up next to the Exchange.

Entering The Buckhorn is like going back in time. The woodwork is original, and the walls have been a point of collection for animal mounts from the west and elsewhere. One can see elk, deer, buffalo, grouse and other animals on the walls and hanging from the ceiling.

This is a Carnivore's Delight. No Vegan's here. We started with Rattlesnake and Alligator Tail passing on the Rocky Mountain Oysters...as we usually have those at the Boulder Bar near Pinedale, WY. For the main course, one can have Buffalo, Beef, Elk, Lamb, Salmon, Quail or Pork. I selected the special of the night was Yak and Ostrich.

The Yak was juicy and tender...better than elk. The same could be said of the Ostrich...medium rare, tender and juicy.

This is a wonderful place to take out-of-town clients looking for something original. I'll be back.

Cheers!