The Breakfast Klub

3711 Travis Street, Houston, TX, USA
The Breakfast Klub - One of the two signature dishes--wings and waffle.
The Breakfast Klub - The line around the block
The Breakfast Klub - Parking a couple blocks away
The Breakfast Klub - Welcome to the Breakfast Klub
The Breakfast Klub - Lines form early

The Breakfast Klub Houston Reviews

travelfan1963 travelfa…
A Deep South Breakfast Jan 09, 2011
It took me a while to get up the nerve to eat at the Breakfast Klub as with the crowds and unusual breakfast menu, I wasn't sure if this restaurant was for me. A Houston institution located in the Midtown district, the Breakfast Klub serves southern soul food for breakfast (and lunch), with some unique breakfast items. The house specialities are chicken wings and waffles, or, catfish and grits. Both of these dishes have a huge base of loyal fans.

I wasn't too keen on the idea of chicken for breakfast but I was wrong. The chicken wings are as good as I've had (the seasoning is excellent) and the waffle was fluffy and delicious. The menu includes everything from green eggs and ham to pork chops and eggs to biscuits and gravy. Prices are roughly $9.00 to $10 for a meal and portions are Texas-sized. For coffee drinkers, there are six options which can be served in a large cup or bowl-sized mug.

Visiting the Breakfast Klub is an experience in itself as a line forms early around the block. Soul music plays while people wait and a large coffee canister sits outside for thirsty guests. I enjoyed the staff who were organizing the line. I was quickly advised of the two house specialities and we were all shown a plate of fresh pork chops and eggs to wet our appetites. As it was my first visit, I was thanked for "hanging out with the Klub", which was a nice gesture.

Inside the restaurant, there are only twenty-five tables, which are turned over quickly. There is a system to ordering which is explained while waiting in line. Staff inside are working the dining room handing out to-go boxes for the large portions and checking on each visitor to see if they like the food. The bright yellow and red walls decorated with local artwork add to the experience.

This restaurant has won lots of awards and was one of four finalists for a U.S. national television show ("Good Morning America") for best breakfast in the United States. I think the unique menu at this restaurant is probably the draw.

With all the crowds, I would get to the Breakfast Klub early. I had tried to visit this restaurant before, but lines were too long--so this can be a problem. I would suggest being there at opening time, as parking in the area is also an issue.

The Breakfast Klub has a sign on each table with photos of their two signature dishes. Each sign says "Enough said" and I think that sums it up. For a taste of southern soul food that is unique to the U.S., this is the place.
One of the two signature dishes--w…
Welcome to the Breakfast Klub
Lines form early
The line around the block
montecarlostar says:
Great review, Donna! Sounds like a place I would like to visit. I usually have a problem with long lines, but once you made it up your mind, the experience may be worth it.
Posted on: Jan 09, 2011
kellie15 kellie15
Southern Home Cooking Jun 19, 2011
I've eaten here several times for breakfast and the food was always delicious. Their hashbrowns are delicious even though they are a little greasy. If you like Southern cooking I definitely recommend going here.

Check Houston Hotel Deals