The Bosphorus Istanbul Cafe

The Bosphorus Istanbul Cafe Indianapolis Reviews

abhmalat abhmalat
Teleportation! Destination Istanbul Nov 18, 2011
Friday night!!

After coming home from work, my friends and I spent the evening battling it out on the Playstation. And we were way past the time we should've started preparing for dinner. Luckily, we all were in the mood for trying out something new.

Thanks to an iPhone app (Alfred) for coming up with cool places to eat based on your previous likes, we came to know of Bosphorus, the Istanbul Cafe located a wee bit south from Indy's city centre. The outside of the cafe is modest and adjacent to a promiscuous hookah bar, but that didn't turn us away. The crowd at the restaurant was overflowing! We had to wait for some time before we were assigned our seats by the very courteous hostess.

It didn't take long for the waiter to attend to us. They offer a lot of Istanbul's local beverages. I wanted to try some Ayran- a yogurt milk drink of sorts, but unfortunately they were all out of it. Oh well, I went for the white zinfandel for the night :) I do plan to go back for trying out their collection of Turkish beverages.

The ambience needs a special mention. Everything from the walls, the menu, to the ceiling is Turkish. The reception area too is adorned with eccentric middle-eastern artifacts. Makes you want to plan an elaborate Turkish vacation for sure!

We tried the Stuffed Grape Leaves for the appetizers. I went for the chicken couscous for my entrée. My buddies ordered a wrap and something called 'Bosphorus Special' for theirs. I could not find anything to complain about.. The food was delicious! The meats were cooked to perfection and the taste was authentic. 5 stars for the chef and his team!

The service was a refreshing change. The waiter wasn't intrusive throughout our dinner, unlike most American restaurants where they annoy you with meaningless banter and unnecessary chitchat. Nonetheless, they were also attentive to our slightest indication.

The prices are the biggest surprise. The most expensive dish on the menu is around 25 USD, and all of the rest are at most 14 USD. For the food this great, this restaurant is a steal.. Highly recommended for all you TBs when you visit Indianapolis :)
jenmarie77 jenmarie…
Great Turkish Food May 14, 2011
This is a great restaurant I've been to many times, generally for lunch. It is located in an old building that clearly used to be a house. The owner is an extremely warm and friendly guy from Turkey. They have a nice lunch deal where you can get an entree and an appetizer (hummus, tabouli, grape leaves, or salad) for around $8. My favorite entree is the adana kebob. (My spelling may be off a bit, as I don't have a menu in front of me.) It is made of minced lamb and beef and has a slightly spicy flavor. My friends often get the lamb kabobs and kofta, and rave about them.

I haven't been there for dinner too many times, but I've always enjoyed my meals. Dinner prices are higher than lunch, obviously. They also sell beer and wine.

Only two things kept me from giving it 5 stars. On extremely hot days the restaurant can get really warm. Also, the quality of the wait staff can be a little hit and miss. But if it is less than 90 degrees (F) out, you won't regret visiting the Bosphorus!

Check Indianapolis Hotel Deals