The Block & Cellar

120 Melville Drive, Bloemfontein, South Africa

The Block & Cellar Bloemfontein Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Warm unpretentious ambiance Sep 19, 2011
For my last day in South Africa my friends Monika and Marek wanted to treat me to a nice lunch before taking me to the airport for my trip back to the USA. We went to the Block & Cellar Restaurant. The origin on the name is as follows: "The Block & Cellar Restaurant in Bloemfontein derives its name from the block where diners can select cuts of top quality grained beef, and the cellar where diners can select from the best South African and international wines."

The restaurant does indeed have a large selection of wine which are openly displayed in bottles about the dining areas. The menu consists of a number of steak cuts (including an Ostrich one), lamb and chicken dishes, curries, seafood and vegetarian dishes. I started with a mushroom soup followed by the chicken Caesar salad. Mushroom soup is usually hit or miss with me, but this was one of the best I have had. I had a small malfunction with a pepper grinder and it spilled all over the soup and floor on my first bowl, but they were good about it and brought me another. The chicken Caesar salad was also very good, with crisp, fresh lettuce, tender chicken, nicely dressed and topped with parmesan cheese. I was very pleased with the meal altogether.

Marek had one of the steaks with side dishes of mashed potatoes and butternut squash. It was truly a man-sized meal. Monika had some sort of creamy chicken dish that came in a small pot. We didn't try any of the wine, but there certainly appeared to be a variety of South African varieties to try. Overall the food was quite good and I could recommend it for the quality and variety. There is an area to dine outside, blue overlooks a parking lot, but it is nice inside and offers some warm unpretentious ambiance. It seemed a good place for a large gathering for special occasions too.
Restaurant front
Dining area I
Dining area II
Menu cover
spocklogic says:
Thank you, Tong, nice of you to say so.
Posted on: Mar 08, 2012
sansan says:
Proud of you! You provide so many valuable evaluation for people :)Glad you have a pleasant trip and experience...
Posted on: Mar 07, 2012
spocklogic says:
I had seen some walking around earlier in the day at Naval Hill, so I just didn't feel right about it. It's apparently a traditional dish in South Africa though.
Posted on: Mar 04, 2012