The Birdcage

Manchester, England

The Birdcage Manchester Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Birdcage Oct 15, 2011
have been struggling to write a review of the Birdcage that didn’t sound more negative than I felt about it, because I had a lovely night here.  Lets say that first – I had a lovely night.  But the Birdcage is a funny sort of place to write a review about.

Basically, this is hen-do and birthday party central.  On the edge of the Printworks, this place has more girls in feather boas and pink Stetsons than I have ever seen anywhere else ever.  And I am not, by nature, a pink Stetson kind of a girl.  It’s also fair to say that the average person in here is drunk long before they get in the door, and doesn’t get out as often as they used to.  The club alternates between live drag-act cabaret, and cheesy dance music.  Every song here is guaranteed cheesy floor filler – Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Billie Jean, Kylie… and, as big an Indie Kid as I still like to think I am, there is something pretty fun about dancing in a feather boa with your female friends to songs you know every single word to.

The cabaret was fun – not particularly risqué, unless you are very easily shocked, but good fun, especially once it got a little later and they stopped relying on clowning around for the laughs.  There was a particularly impressive drag-kylie segment.

But the actual material surroundings of the club – dear, oh dear.  The bass was up so high we had to keep rescuing glasses that were bouncing on to the floor.  The girls toilets were missing almost all of the locks.  The drinks, those that didn’t bass their way off the table, were not great – a gin and tonic that cost twice what it would have in the Northern Quarter tasted of lemon and club soda.  And yes, I was still sober enough to tell the difference.  There were drips coming through parts of the ceilings, and the floor was sticky.

That said, I could forgive the club a lot because, as the future bride, I was given a small pink cuddly dog.

All in all, though, if you forget about classiness and make sure that you’ve done your drinking before you go in, and if you love dancing to fun music that you wouldn’t normally admit you liked, this is a good night out.  Just don’t leave your drinks anywhere near the edge of the table.

sarahelaine says:
You're welcome! And like I said, it was a lovely night. Watching my mother watch the boy pole dancers was a particular highlight! It just could be a bit better with a toilet refit and nicer drinks.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2011
jeminigirl says:
Hi Sarah, sounds a bit disappointing, I have been to the Birdcage in Leeds on a couple of occasions and whilst it obviously attracts the same clientele, the music, drinks and acts have always been great. (Apart from the huge pitchers of cocktails which were mostly ice cubes!!!) May give visiting this one a miss. Thanks for sharing :)
Posted on: Nov 09, 2011