The Bell

Bexhill, England

The Bell Bexhill Reviews

goezi goezi
The Bell drops a clanger Apr 13, 2009
The Bell Public House sits above Bexhill in the old town. From the outside it looks like a grand old hotel. The blackboard lets everyone passing know what to expect as far as upcoming entertainment.

Ma and I decided to head in for dinner one night but we timed it badly, they had just hosted a huge crowd, for an important football game on their big screen that weekend. They were pretty much out of beer and out of food.

When you walk into the Bell you find yourself in a large bar that could do with some money spent on it. It’s a hollow kind of atmosphere which lends itself perfectly to watching sport on the big screen.

We moved through into the second half of the room. This was divided by a wall built around a huge fireplace that faced both parts of the bar. If the big screen dominated the bar with sight and sound, the fireplace dominated the room with it’s smell of soot and smoke. There was no fire in the hearth, it just smelt of roaring blazes passed.

Through the door behind us there was a garden bar with a number of tables. We thought of escaping to the area but were put off by the slight chill in the Spring evening air and the fact that these garden bars are primarily for the smokers, who are not permitted to light up inside UK pubs.

I approached the bar to order a shot of bourbon and a beer. The barman was obviously very embarrassed as I requested drink after drink without success. Finally I asked what he did have left to sell me, settling for a red wine and an Australian brand larger.

We looked through the menu for our choice of meal. It was not a bad menu until we tried to order from it and found, once again, there was nothing in stock. We settled for a couple of curries in the end. They were pre-packed meals that could be microwaved from frozen by the bar staff I guess.

If you’re in Bexhill old town and thinking of hitting The Bell, I suggest you go early for the sport or the band, it seemed to me this pub was more about volume consumption than a quality night out in an old English pub.
The Bell at twilight
goezi says:
Oh shucks, thanks Deb. You got me blushing now.
C:
Posted on: May 24, 2009

Compare Bexhill-on-Sea Hotel Rates (1.5km away)

Bexhill Map