The Barbican Centre

London, England

The Barbican Centre London Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Barbican Jun 07, 2011
The Barbican Theatre is part of the Barbican estate in London, a sprawling piece of twentieth century utopian architecture, where they were trying really hard to prove that you could build a public housing project with parks, fountains, flowers, world class theatre and art facilities, and high level walk ways.  It almost works, although it still looks like you have stumbled into Blade Runner if you are there at night.  The Barbican Centre itself has a theatre, a gallery and conference facilities, and a food hall.  I was there to see a new production of School for Scandal.  I am going to have to work hard to review the theatre, rather than the play, because the play was dreadful and the theatre was actually pretty good.

Well, as the play was the loudest play I have ever seen, I can confirm that the acoustics are good and they have a decent sound crew.  If you can’t say something nice, say nothing at all, right?  The theatre has good line of sight to the stage, even from the cheapest seats, and they seem to have managed to design it without pillars in the way.  The lighting is good.  It is probably about medium sized for a London theatre, and I would be prepared to bet that the sound quality is excellent if you are seeing a band or an orchestra.

The staff are all very friendly, and the bar and ice cream prices are about average for London – a bottle of water and an ice cream will set you back about £5.  The seats are nice and spacious.

Getting to the Barbican is easy.  Barbican has its own tube stop, and it is an easy walk from Moorgate and Liverpool Street.  As it is a relatively new building, there is speech-to-text for theatre goers with hearing problems and the disabled access would probably be fine.  I didn’t eat in the food hall, because I didn’t fancy the food there, but it was light, spacious and smelled nice.

I like coming to the Barbican, and have come several times now.  It has an interesting programme of events, including lots of music and some of the more interesting art exhibitions I’ve seen recently.  I would recommend it.

Africancrab says:
Nice review.
Posted on: Jun 13, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About The Barbican Centre

Today I went to London to see the Seduced exhibition in the Barbican art centre.  I'm not going into depth about the exhibition here - family website and all - but it's basically bits and bobs f…London to see the Seduced exhibition in the Barbican art centre.  I'm not going into depth about the exhibition…

Check London Hotel Deals