The Asisi Panorama, Die Mauer (The Wal)l

www.asisi.de/panoramas/the-w… - Tel.: +49 341 – 35 55 34-0

The Asisi Panorama, Die Mauer (The Wal)l Berlin Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
something different Sep 30, 2015
Located in a historic area just across the street of the Checkpoint Charlie, I noticed a type of museum that I have the interest in visiting. The museum I am referring to is the Asisi Panorama, Die Mauer; "The Wall."

Before I write the review for the Asisi Panorama museum, let me share some interesting facts that I discovered about this type of museums. During the late 1700s and early 1800s, a form of interactive media was invented. Considered uninteresting at the time and more familiar to the masses is what known as Panorama Museum. These are made up of giant size landscape painting in a large circular room. *The paintings are so alive in that it create an entirely engaging visual experience for the audience.*

Wow, so, these types of a museum were already existing even before the 20th century! How come we don't see them now? Well, it is probably because of the emerging of modern photography and film, which are faster and perhaps cheaper to use in museums these days. Luckily, these types of museums are making a comeback! In my trip to Europe, I had the opportunity to visit not just one, but two Panorama Museums. One in Wroclaw, Poland and another in Berlin, Germany.

This review is for the Panorama Museum in Berlin. This panorama painting is very large; has a height of 15 meters and a circumference of 60 meters. Visitors climbed a rather steep and narrow staircase to reach the viewers' platform. It starts dark; then slowly the layout of the streets, and the position of the wall becomes visible. As the show progresses, details became alive and played out right in front of the viewer.

The Asisi Panorama Die Mauer simulates a day in the life of Berliners in the West Berlin across the border strip and the Wall to Berlin-Mitte in East Berlin. The scene depicts an unusual kind of a journey back through time when the Wall was still a reality. The Berliners in the painting are living their daily life such as moving house, eating a currywurst, shopping, fixing cars, or going to the corner pub. Other images in the giant painting are tourists taking their souvenir photos in front of the Wall. For those who have keen eyes will spot humorous image of a young man throwing up next to a phone booth. And of course, the border guards are everywhere watching of those who attempts to escape. The normality of life in the shadow of the wall may be the main theme here, but the "conclusion" to me, is the image of two small children throwing a ball against The Wall.

The entire “show” lasts for about twenty minutes only, but there is no limit to stay or view. In fact, an onlooker may watch the panoramic painting show repeatedly, until he or she gets tired! At the museum lobby, visitors are welcome to browse on the photo exhibits and write a mark of your visit.

The standard admission price is €10.00, (which is quite too much I think!) The exhibit is open from 10:00 to 20:00 daily.

A traveler who likes history, intricate art and paintings, I promise you’ll enjoy the trip to this museum. Also, paying a visit will give a person a unique perspective on the Berlin Wall.

P.S. correction on the name of the museum: The Asisi Panorama, Die Mauer (THE WALL) I apologize, it is a typo error, and TB won't let me correct it. ;)
The museum is very close to Check …
signage
ticket booth
Zagnut66 says:
Great use of an old art form. Interesting that the panorama depicts everyday life rather than an epic battle.
Vikram says:
So essentially the 80s is when the colourful Ems era began 😉
EmyG says:
This is the world I barely remember but some photos feel to me like Poland in 80s. I was born in 80s behind the Iron Curtain and I was very little when the Berlin Wall fell down so I have only blurry memories from the end of communism era.

Check Berlin Hotel Deals