The Armoury Chamber

The Kremlin, Moscow, Russia

The Armoury Chamber Moscow Reviews

Mixal Mixal
The Armoury chamber... Sep 23, 2011
Before I start this review, I'll just say that I exclusively visited the Armoury Chamber, so I haven't seen Faberge eggs exhibition, although a couple of these were part of other exhibitions inside the Kremlin.

Since this is one of the most famous museums in Moscow and considering the price of the ticket, I was disappointed to say the least. First of all, I expected much larger collection. The first few rooms are concentrated on dresses, costumes etc. and there are very few exhibits. A couple of impressive crowns & thrones, but that's it. Furthermore, there is a large collection of carriages. Absolutely worth a visit, but where is the damn armoury?!

So finally you go upstairs and there it is. So what can I say? I liked it a lot, but I've seen much better and for lower admission. So, if you're a big fan of armoury collections like I am, don't expect too much, otherwise you might be disappointed.
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
State Armoury Apr 06, 2010
Facing the statue of Marshal Zhukov in front of the museum, go right through the gates to the Tomn Of The Unknown Soldier and keep right through the gardens and you come to the ticket office.

You can buy tickets for the Kremlin Cathedrals and The Armoury Chamber together, but it doesn't save you any money. Cost 700R each for The Armoury Chamber,and 350R for The Kremlin Cathedrals (200R and 100R respectively for children and students)

The gate here is just to get into The Kremlin, for The Armoury Chamber you have to go down the steps into the gardens and head down the path towards the river. Near the end of the wall you'll see a small path that winds up to a rather insignificant looking gate, but that's the one you want.

Enterance to The Armoury seems to be at staggered intervals of two hours from 10am, though it was after 1pm when we went in, when we came back out the enterance had been blocked off.

Free cloakroom to get rid of your jackets, and the have free audio guides,and we got 4, but had to leave one passport as a 'deposit'.

Automatic barrier to get in reading barcode on tickets, though there was an older woman attendant there to do that for you :D.

You start the tour up on the second floor, and there is a sign to tell you when to start playing the audio guide. The guide takes you through the highlights, of the museum, starting with the oldest exhibits of silver and gold from the 12th Century.

Each display case has a number at the top of it and the audio guide directs you to them and explains what you are seeing.

Lots of gold, armour and religious icons, but the thing I was most taken with was the collection of Faberge Eggs. The detail in them is amazing and I loved the one with the little moving model of the first Trans Siberian Railway Train, that had little moving wheels and people inside the carriages.

Another obscure display case I liked was the one with the tea services. Unfortunately, a bit like the Guggenheim in New York, there were attendants floating about in all the halls to make sure you never took any pictures.

Once you have completed the top floor, the audioguide gives you a break to go back and see the stuff that has caught your eye, as it can't cover all the exhibits, but I went back to the Faberge collection.

Down to the next floor there is a collection of dresses and costumes that didn't do much for me. Then there is a collection of thrones, and I liked the one for the two young Tsars,that ruled jointly, and it had a window that would have had a curtain over it. Someone would have stood behind it and told the princes how to behave and what to say as they met the ambassadors from other countries.

There is then a room full of really impressive carriages. It says 'Don't Touch', but don't even get to close, as my daughter's hand barely went over the fence as she walked along and the alarm went off. The best of the carriages was the Summer Carriage of Catherine The Great.

Some folk might like to spend a lot of time in here, but we managed a fairly painless 2 hours looking round it, without my son even whining once ( which considering when I asked him what he liked best in the Vatican Museum,when I took him there, his answer was the Exit sign):D

No decent photos for this one :-(, but definately worht a visit.
Ticket Office
Ticket Office In Front Of The Stat…
Tinktinkie says:
This is a wonderful museum to see! I loved every minute and could have stayed there for days!
Posted on: Mar 25, 2011
Inquisitive says:
I think it is hard NOT to set off the alarm at those carriages :) I was amazed with how small the costume sizes were, especially those for men..
Posted on: May 04, 2010
Chokk says:
I would love to see those eggs:)
Posted on: Apr 20, 2010