The Almeida

Almeida Theatre, London, United Kingdom

The Almeida London Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Almeida May 12, 2010
The Almeida theatre is a small theatre in Islington, near central London. It has recently been refurbished.

The white building is tucked up a side street not far from Islington Green and Angel Tube station, although from where I was staying there was a cheap and direct bus. The auditorium is small, but even the cheap seats to the side have an excellent view of the stage. I was impressed with the lighting and sound systems, which for such a small space were incredibly effective. The seats were comfortable, and I think that disabled access would probably be fine if you phoned ahead.

The staff were very helpful, especially given that I had managed to lose my ticket and they helped me find it again. I can’t imagine even the National Theatre staff (who were also nice) being that helpful, and I wonder if this is the advantage of smaller theatres or just very nice people.

It has an airy bar, which is nicely decorated and spacious – the prices seemed reasonable but I didn’t use it that night. The toilets are really nice, and the seats are comfortable. The foyer is a little crowded in the interval, but then most foyers are. There was ice cream available, and it was nice.

Bear in mind that they start plays promptly here, and because it’s small, they might not let you in straight away if you are late.

Check London Hotel Deals