The Acropolis

The Acropolis Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
Acropolis ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

The history of the Acropolis is long enough , so I will give you a breath review and some links if you want more information ! And of course is the highlight of Athens city !

The Acropolis was both the fortified citadel and state sanctuary of the ancient city of Athens. Although the great building programs of the 5th century B.C. have disturbed or covered many of the earlier remains, there is still a great deal of archaeological evidence attesting to the importance of the Acropolis in all periods of time. In the Late Bronze Age, the Acropolis was surrounded by a massive fortification wall like those at Mycenae and Tiryns in southern Greece. This wall remained in use long after the collapse of Mycenaean civilization, and functioned as the fortifications of the Acropolis for several centuries. By the middle of the 8th century B.C., if not earlier, at least part of the Acropolis had developed into the sanctuary of the goddess Athena, the patron divinity of the city. It is likely that the first temple of Athena was constructed in this period in order to house a wooden cult statue of the goddess. In the 2nd quarter of the 6th century B.C., probably in association with the re-organization of the Panathenaic festival in 566 B.C., there was a burst of architectural and sculptural activity, and the first monumental, stone, Doric temple of Athena is built on the Acropolis. Another monumental temple was built towards the end of the 6th century, and yet another was begun after the Athenian victory over the Persians at Marathon in 490 B.C. However, the Acropolis was captured and destroyed by the Persians 10 years later (in 480 B.C.). Although the Athenians and other Greeks were eventually victorious over their eastern enemies, the Acropolis lay in ruins. In the mid-5th century, the Athenians were persuaded by the statesman Perikleus to rebuild the temples on the Acropolis on a grand scale, and it is during the second half of the 5th century B.C. that the most famous buildings on the Acropolis -- the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, and the temple of Athena Nike, were constructed.

Archaeological excavations, and the necessary conservation, study, and publication of the monuments, were begun in the 1830's soon after Greek independence, and continue to the present day.

Helpful Links :

The official web site of Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Tourism .

Other interesting sites .

What around : Theiseio & Arxaia Agora , Kerameikos, Acropoilis Museum , Plaka , Monastiraki .

How to go :

Just come up the hill from Monastiraki. Theorias is the name of the street that goes around the Acropolis, north to south-west . Or just come up from the new Acropolis Museum ! With Metro , acropolis terminal !

Tips :

Be careful when climbing because the rocks are slippery ! Wear shoes with rubber soles as leather ones or sport shoes .

The national holidays are close !

Opening hours and tickets :

Summer (01/04-31/10) , 08:00-19:30 daily Mon 11:00-19:30

Winter (01/11-31/03) , 08:00-15:00 daily

Normal 12 Euro , Reduced 6 Euro (Day ticket for all archeological entries , must be 12 entrances . The prices @ 2011 .

Every Sunday in winter period have free entrance for the most of that !

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2011 !

P.s. Just a small note ! I make the review like a small guide with different sections , I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :) I am not Historical or a Guide , just explorer :) . Extra information contact with me :). Thanks for reading !
Johnpro says:
Ladies first :)
Thank you very much sweet Riya and wish you to visit a day :) Also I had a dream to visit Taj Mahal and did it the summer of 2011 :)
Thank you my friend Carlos for your comment , It's great monument , I am living here but looking on it almost everyday :)
montecarlostar says:
Very interesting review! This is definitively one of the world's MUST SEEs for everyone! :D
msarkar2810 says:
I have always wanted to visit the Acropolis (The High city) and now after going through your review, it makes me want to go there even more. :)
rcpilgrim rcpilgrim
The symbol of a culture May 19, 2012
The Acropolis is a stunning example of what the Greeks were able to build in the early history of civilized man. It is a complex of buildings, mostly remains that were used as temples of worship such as the Temple of Athena and the Temple Of Athena Nike. The crown jewel of the Acropolis is the Parthenon. This is still the symbol of Greece to this day. Athens has had it share of invaders over the years and the Acropolis has stood through it. The Parthenon was blown up by Turkish invaders who used it as a powder magazine and the marble columns were stolen by the British but the building still stands. The views over Athens from the hill on the Acropolis are unparalleled. At night the Parthenon is bathed in rainbow colored floodlights and stands as the highest structure in Athens so it can be seen from anywhere.
aubrey_labuschagne aubrey_l…
Acropolis of Athens Jul 21, 2011
When in Athens, its worth the time to visit the Acropolis. A beautiful sight. A tip would be to visit this early in the day. Its gets warm and there are a lot of people visiting the Acropolis. Best means of travel is to take the "Hop On Hop Off" Bus (The red buses). They travel to all the attractions in Athens. Get a lot of water before moving into the Acropolis, its a long walk. It would help to get a guide to inform you about the history of the Acropolis. The people are friendly that is visiting the Acropolis. So make some friends while on the walk.
merelst merelst
Tour of the Acropolis in Athens May 08, 2011
I would advice anyone visiting the Acropolis to take a tour around the Acropolis instead of walking by yourself. A guided tour gives you a lot of interesting information and makes the Acropolis come to life instead of walking around alone an watching some stones. The guides are really experienced and have a lot of knowledge, also because they often teach history at university or high school. Students get a discount and you can negotiate the price.
ang77 ang77
AMAZING!! Must-See! May 07, 2011
The Acropolis is the main reason I decided to visit Athens. I was so happy to visit this place in January 2011. It is an ancient masterpiece and a must-see.

I visited it twice during my stay in Athens. I love it.

Do go early because it gets really crowded and a lot of cruise tour or regular tour come in around 9. It is free admission on Sunday. There are several walkways to the entrance and several exits. The entire trip would probably take a good 3-4 hours with breaks.
Amerital Amerital
What to do in Athens, Greece Feb 04, 2010
Being in the Middle East allows me to get to some pretty cool spots quickly. I had a weekend to play and decided on Athens. We did our normal 2 day adventure planning and decided Athens was it.

Upon arriving at the airport we caught the Metro. If anyone is unfamiliar with Greek, or even what the language looks like when written down- then do some homework before you come. We didn't find too many people at all that spoke English and the lettering is hard to understand. With that said though we were still able to figure out where to go on the Metro, what stop to get off and so we headed out. (Metro ticket cost 10 Euro - it think).

We got off at our stop and immediately found ourselves in the old town shopping area. It was awsome there! Street vendors selling fruit, old churches, bustling people. We headed 'up' the street and did a lot of window shopping. A man outside greeted us in English and so we asked him how to get to our hotel. He took us in his store and went above and beyond for us. He provided us with maps, showed us how to get there walking, or by metro, where to avoid, where to catch the metro for all the attractions and didn't bother us about buying a thing! He was just fantastic. Let me take a moment to give his shop recognition...

Golden Celini Jewellery (the way they spell it)

57 pandrosou str

Athens

Our hotel was a 2 star on purpose. We were only to lay our heads there so we didn't need much else. After check in, dropping our bags we headed out.

We hit the PLAKA area of Athens which is a strip of restaurants and drinking establishments lining the gates to the ruins. It is absolutely breathtaking there. We stopped in several places for a bite to eat and nothing we ate was less than toe curling. I especially recommend the Feta for obvious reasons!

Then, we turned a corner and found THE JAMES JOYCE Irish Pub and Restaurant owned and operated by Tom Cameron. Folks, if you go to Athens YOU MUST GO THERE. The atmosphere is great, we made so many friends there. Its an amazing place to meet up with fellow travelers. I just cannot say enough great things about this pub- it just made our first night there so perfect.

The second day we headed to the Plaka again to buy our tickets for the Acropolis (again, 12 Euro- I think). The first part is beautiful. The green park is littered with things to see. We spent a long time looking at all the sites. One thing I loved as well is that the wild dogs there are not so wild. They live on the streets but are all fat and happy. The citizens of Athens takes great care of them and even gets them their shots. Don't be afraid if one decides to come on a walk with you through the park.

There were 3 different "parks" to go through. The first one I just described. The second one takes you up a path that follows what would have been the original one. This second part has graffiti all over the ruins and is sad to see. Luckily we know that the ruins will be there long after the paint wears off.

There is a beautiful path through some trees alongside a huge bolder right before you begin the ascent to the Acropolis. Its a great place for some pictures with the natural beauty around.

Finally, the walk up to the Acropolis arrives. Its a very easy walk and well worth it. There is constant restoration taking place so expect to see scaffolding and crews working on it at all times. Some of the missing chunks are being replaced and you can see the contrast of the old pieces with the shiny new marble pieces. The Acropolis itself is larger than you can imagine, ITS HUGE! There is more than just the one site up there however so take your time. You have a great view over Athens from up top and if you go on a less than busy day like we did I suggest you spend a lot of time with your camera. There are so many pieces to see and capture.

After we returned to the Jewelry shop that originally helped us and I bought some earings hand made replica's of what is in the museum. If you like that stuff I again would recommend that you go there and look. AFter a few final pints at the Irish pub we headed back home.

It is easy to do Athens for cheap. We splurged for 2 days, ate like Kings and spared no expense and only spent $550 (including a new digital camera). So add Athens to your list and enjoy one of the most beautiful places in the Med area!
The view right off the Metro.
Example of the metro in Athens
THE PLAKA
My fave... the Irish Pub
vasgian says:
I think that is funny about the metro you said. Because I can tell you by 100% that everywhere everything is written in Greek and in English. Even the announcements in the metro are in both languages. Except from that Greece is almost a bilingual country. Almost everybody except maybe from the older people speaks english!
Posted on: Feb 15, 2010
sylviandavid says:
I love your review..... We too found Athens to be a great place...with great food and wonderful people. Thanks so much for this outstanding review! sylvia
HuBison HuBison
The aesthetic location that you must visit Jun 10, 2010
The Acropolis of Athens is a great spot to visit on your trip. The number one rule is that you must be there when it opens, an hour later, it gets very, very, very hot up there. You are on top of a mound that is exposed to the sun and once the day begins to develop, you don't want to be caught up there.

You pay for an entrance ticket that comes with accompanying tickets that get you into other places, so be sure to go visit the Temple of Zeus and the other places you are entitled to. It's great to walk from Syntagma Square up through an alley of homes on the hillside to get to the Acropolis, but there is a direct route (boring). Bring your water and snacks because they charge and arm and a leg once you get up there, but if you need to know, there is a post office up there.

There are little ole ladies charging 70-80 euro for "Guided tours"; spend the money on a Frommer's book and you'll have all the information you need! The scammers are everywhere!

It's an fair walk to the new Museum; easy for the young and active, a bit far for the disabled or aged traveler.

Also, if you have a student ID, bring it for a discount. Depending on who's at the ticket booth and what kind of mood they're in, it might not matter that your ID is from another country!
The Acropolis at night
On top of the Acropolis in the mor…
vasgian says:
A small tip: There are certain days of the year where all the museums and the Acropolis are free like the first Sunday of each month
Posted on: Feb 05, 2010
sylviandavid says:
Good idea on getting there early.... We always manage to visit when it's cold...but we'll remember when we visit in the summer. Thanks. sylvia
stevemco stevemco
The Acropolis Oct 31, 2009
I've said this before... You get into the hype, finally get there and say... that's it. The Acropolis is one of the been there done that places. You have to go and will be happy you did. Just keep your pre-visit excitement to a minimum.
mdfehmel mdfehmel
Athens Sightseeing Dec 18, 2008
Obviously, the Acropolis should be at the top of anyone's list when sightseeing around Athens. The birthplace of democracy is very much intact considering its age and restoration is underway using only original materials that have fallen to the ground. The views to the rest of the city from the high vantage point of the Acropolis are breathtaking and the history is awe-inspiring. It will take you at least one full day to explore the entire area. There is an intricate maze of narrow streets just outside of the Acropolis containing countless souvenir shops and cafes. This is a good place to get a cup of coffee and pick up some gifts.
Ancient Temple to the Gods at the …
The view of Athens from the Acropo…
Greek Orthodox Church at the base …
Me in front of the ruins at the ba…
sylviandavid says:
nice pictures and nice review... sylvia
LAfallenangel LAfallen…
Jan 03, 2008
If you are ever in Greece or even the Islands you have got to visit the Acropolis!!! This place is Amazing, When you are up there you can see the whole of Athens fromm every direction, it is really like a concrete jungle as far as the eye can see and really weird to look at. It was 20 years ago when I went but I still would love to go back now. I honestly cant remember how much it cost to vist etc as I was 15 at the time, if it was expensive it was worth every penny!
The Acropolis
sylviandavid says:
nice review.... it is in a city.... but I really liked the terracotta roofs and the different buildings.
mariemak mariemak
Jul 16, 2007
When in Athens, a climb up to the Acropolis is a must. A few tips:

1. Bring a guide book: When you buy your ticket, it is good for several locations but without a guidebook, it is tricky to find the other locations. We borrowed a Michelin Guide from the library and were glad we did. We also had the luck of being there during strikes of the park employees, which hopefully was making them less helpful than usual, but it is possible that they are not helpful people and/or there really are no maps available all the time, so a little research before you leave can prove to be very helpful.

2. Bring bottled water: No water is sold at the top and it is a hot walk (especially in the middle of the day).

3. Protect yourself from the sun: Wear a hat, long sleeves, use the sunscreen liberally...there is not much shade around.

4. Hold on to your hat!: It is really windy at the top - make sure everything is secured before walking through the pillars.

5. Have fun!
sylviandavid says:
nice pictures.... nice review... sylvia
travelman727 travelma…
Center of Modern Democracy Jul 22, 2005
THE ACROPOLIS

In my opinion, the Acropolis is one of our planet’s most fascinating places. This 150 meter high limestone plateau was the original Athens. When the city’s population grew to about 250,000, people started moving down to the surrounding areas. The Acropolis was one of 20 finalists under consideration for the recently named New Seven Wonders of the World.

The Acropolis contains:

• The Parthenon, an all-marble temple dedicated to the goddess Athena

• The Erechtheion, a tomb built to honor Erechtheus, a legendary king of Athens that features Caryatids supporting its porch

• Museum of the Acropolis

It also immediately overlooks:

• Odeum of Herodes Atticus (southeast)

• Theater of Dionysus Eleuthereus (south)

• Mars Hill (northwest)

Sights that can be seen in the distance from the Belvedere on the east end:

• Mt. Likavitos

• Panathenian Olympic Stadium

• Olympieion (Zeus Temple)

The Acropolis is in the midst of many extensive repair projects and renovations. Keep an eye on the city on a hill as Athens restores the area, synonymous with modern democracy, to its former glory :-D
Parthenon, symbol of ancient Greece
Propylaia area being restored
Caryatids support Erectheion porch
Mark.... nice review.... sylvia
snapit2 says:
it´s free for students of the EU, 6€ for other students and 12€ for everybody else
Posted on: May 16, 2008
koala says:
I have never been to Athens - one of the places I would love to go to!
Posted on: Apr 23, 2008