The Acropolis Museum

The Acropolis Museum Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
The must see Athens Museum ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

The design by New Yorker Bernard Tschumi, born 25 January 1944 in Lausanne, Switzerland, in partnership with the Athens architect Michael Photiadis, was selected as the winning project in the second competition for the design of the new Acropolis museum. This new Acropolis museum is under construction at the southern base of the Acropolis, at the ancient road (Dionysiou Areopagitou street) that led up to the "sacred rock" in classical times. Set only 250 Architect Bernard Tchumi meter (800 feet) from the Parthenon, the museum is the most significant building ever erected so close to the ancient temple.

Although the return of the Parthenon marbles from the British Museum is not guaranteed, the design includes a rectangular glass gallery that will display the Parthenon marbles with the precise geometry and harmonious dimensions (21x58 meters – 68.9x190.3 ft) of the columned Parthenon. Visitors to the museum will be able to see the Parthenon from the glass gallery.

Model of the excavations under the new Acropolis Museum Along the sides of the ramp, and as free-standing installations, there will be artifacts recovered from the Sanctuary of the Nymphs, the Sanctuary of Asklepeios and elsewhere on the slopes of the Acropolis. The middle is a large, double-height trapezoidal plate that accommodates all galleries from the Archaic period to the Roman Empire. There will be a multimedia auditorium and a mezzanine bar and restaurant with view on the Acropolis.

Useful Links : More information at the official web site of Museum!

What around : Theiseio & Arxaia Agora , Kerameikos, Acropoilis , Plaka , Monastiraki , The Theatre of Dionysos , Odeon of Herodes Atticus … almost everything is around :)

How to go : Just come down from the acropolis rock ! Just couple of meters away from plaka area ! Or metro @ Acropolis station !

Tips : ''' The photographs prohibited inside in some areas ! And if you have a big bag you must leave it in special secure area in the entrance floor ! So been there for 4th time at 22Sep 2013 and they allow me to take pictures inside (2011 3rd visit they don't allow me) , so they don't allow in the main entrance and to archaic room to the first floor , all the rest areas you can picture whatever you like without flash !!! '''

Opening hours and tickets :

Tuesday to Sunday: 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.

Last admission: 7.30 p.m.

Galleries cleared at 7.45 p.m.

The Museum is open every Friday until 10 p.m.

Monday: Closed.

Closed: 1 January, 25 March, Easter Sunday, 1 May, 25 December and 26 December.

General admission fee: 5 euros.

Reduced admission fee: 3 euros.

Extra comment : Of course is a must of Athens and recommended 100% , An amazing museum just a breath away from Acropolis rock ! If they will bring our marbles from the other museums will be more better !!! I will post some older photos from the old Acropolis museum because the exhibits are the same just change house :) , in the near future will be add more of them !

I make a new review because the other one have a small confuse by two TB members ... one member writing for the new Acropolis Museum and the other for the old !!!

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2011 !

Also I will upload more pictures in the next days from my 2013 visit :)

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . For extra information contact with me :).
cisqo78 says:
I just briefly read your Acropolis Museum review and is pretty good. It reminds me of my trip there last year. Ahhh, good times. :) I will need to read the rest of your Athens blog some other time.
Posted on: Sep 27, 2013
Johnpro says:
Thank you Elena :) I am a tourist also to my city :)
Posted on: Feb 28, 2013
elenastep5 says:
Oh man, you wrote a lot of helpful information... Need time to read all your blogs. Thank you.
Posted on: Feb 27, 2013