The Abbey (Woodseats)

0114 274 5374

The Abbey (Woodseats) Sheffield Reviews

dougal dougal
Jan 25, 2007
Woodseats is not short of pubs. There's one every hundred yards or so. Unfortunately though they are generally crap.

The best of the bunch is undoubtedly The Abbey that you can find nestled right at the far end of the shopping strip. Now I'm not going to try and convince you that this is some sort of Mecca that all visitors to Sheffield should make a pilgrimage to but I like it and so visit it quite often.

What it is good for is watching football - there's a decent size taproom with a big screen that always has a game of some sort on. Generally it doesn't get so busy that you are packed in although England games have been known to pull in a big crowd.

The pub itself is decent enough inside - still a typical brewery pub but with enough character to stop it feeling really bland like some places you find.

They do food during the day and in fact have a dedicated eating area at the back (no smoking too) before 8pm but it’s been a long time since I ate there so I couldn’t tell you what it is like. Standard British pub fayre though. You know - Pasta, Lasagne, Thai Curry... that sort of thing!!

It does have a very big beer garden out the back that is largely hidden from the busy road that surrounds it. There's also a large bowling green attached to it but this seems to be privately owned by a club or something. Prime piece of real estate if you ask me.

The big down side for me is their evil mobile phone blocker. To be exact they seem to have some method of specifically blocking my phone. Everyone else's works fine. Mine works outside the door, in the car park, even in the porch. But as soon as I set foot over the threshold my three bars immediately disappears and drops to 'no signal'. The swines.

The beer isn't cheap but then nowhere seems to be these days. The bar staff are not always the quickest to serve you but the landlord is into Northern Soul so that's fine by me.

Get a bit of Northern on or the lads!!
The Abbey Pub on Woodseats
Amanda says:
You wrote this review on my birthday. My birthday was utter crap this year - I think I'd have rather been at this place... wish you'd written this just a few days prior and sent me a heads up...
Posted on: Apr 25, 2007