The 14 Welsh Peaks

Wales, United Kingdom

The 14 Welsh Peaks Reviews

davidx davidx
Great feeling - but once was enough - and no record! Nov 03, 2010
Why not 5* for one of the best recognised walks in the UK? because basically I have nolove for the idea of organised routes of this sort with records etc. So many involve peaks that I should never ascend for their own sake and so much erosion has been caused in once delightful places and - - but enough ranting.

The figure 14 seems clear enough - but it's not! It's the peaks in Wales that are higher than 3000 feet and it was known as the 14 peaks when I did it. Since then a new survey has discovered that there are actually 15 peaks of this height. Fortunately anybody who has done the 14 has almost certainly done the 15 as the 15th lies almost inevitably on the route. I cannot imagine any other motive for being on it!

I may well do reviews on some parts of the walk separately as there are some wonderful mountains included but there are others, possibly 5, that I never would want to see again.

The walk usually starts at the summit of Snowdon but, for reasons that would not be interesting, we started lower down and had to retrace part of our route. I could say that otherwise we should have taken the record - but I should be lying!

There are three of the peaks in the Snowdon Group, two joined by a very sharp ridge. Then there is the first major descent to cross the road from Capel Curig to Llanberis and the long and deadly boring, at least in heavy mist, of Eleanor Fawr to start the Glydders Group. This consists of 5 peaks with some longish descents between. Then another major descent to cross the road from Capel Curig to Bangor and steeply up to the Carnedds. The final two/three peaks in the group are just big grass lumps and then the descent is to the sea of the North Wales Coast.

We probably walked a total of 30 miles and went up and down a bit above 6000 feet in total. What was the best part of the experience - unquestionably the late traverse of the Carnedds with first the lights of the seaside towns coming on and then the best view of stars I have ever enjoyed.

last but not least, we enjoyed back-up from two friends who took our tents back down and later fed us before the ascent to the Carnedds before meeting us in the early hours to take us to our tents, which were pitched ready.
Wales Map