Thailand travel budget

Biedjee Biedjee
Thailand travel budget Jun 19, 2011
Country: Thailand

Period visited: 2010 - 11 nights

Visa cost: n/a (when arriving overland max stay is 15 days, which cannot be extended)

Budget per day: 35 Euro

Actual per day: 96 Euro (without diving: 67 Euro)

Why so expensive?

Like Turkey, Thailand has become shockingly expensive, at least, the south has. The islands and beaches are targeting Russians and Arabs, who carry significantly more cash than backpackers, and the costs of accommodation, food and drinks reflect this. Furthermore I did some diving trips, which were far more expensive than anticipated. The three days of diving account for 35% of my budget, though this means that I still spent 60 Euros a day on everything else, still almost twice my budget. I'll admit this was the end of my trip, so I wasn't too fussed about budgets any more. In hostels I stayed in rooms, rather than dorms and I splurged a bit more on food than I normally would (couldn't resist ordering lobster and other seafood).

And alcohol... one night out in Phuket with two Australians cost me close to 75 Euros.

Can it be cheaper?

Yes, don't do any diving and stay away from western Thai Islands and you'll be fine. The north of Thailand is much cheaper than the south. Once you are south of Bangkok, the price of beer doubles (and the bottles shrink!) so keep this in mind if you plan on doing any partying.

Average costs:

Food & Drinks:

Beer: €1.50 (0.6 litre in Chiang Khong) to €5 (0.25 litre in Phuket)

Espresso: €2 (at Starbucks type places)

Meal: €1 (street stall) to €30 (multi-course meal in a restaurant in the tourist areas)

Accommodation:

Dorm: € 8 (Phuket)

Single room: €13 (Chiang Khong, Patthaya) to €20 (Phuket)
Thailand Map