Texas Hot Dogs

1122 12th street, Altoona, PA, USA
Texas Hot Dogs - a texas style hot dog; according to the Altoonans, with mustard, chili and onions

Texas Hot Dogs Altoona Reviews

pinchora pinchora
I always stumble into the original.... Sep 27, 2008
Since I've moved here I've been to texas hot dogs 3 times---and I've only been here for a month... and one week I was in Vegas and the other week I was in Boston...

But this is a cute little diner... it's been around since 1918 and still has that feel. When you walk in here you feel like you go back in time (although your sort of feel that way with the town of Altoona). The inside has that old time feel with the bar and the booths and it even has a Barrel in which the waitresses get the rootbeer and birch beer from!

The staff in this one is always very nice... they are all older ladies who know the people who come into the restaurant... the townies if you could say. They come and sit and have a good time.

The menu consists of some favorites of hot dogs, you can get them plain, with ketchup and mustard, with cheese and saurkraut or the Texas style which is mustard, onions and chili. And this just isn't the saucy chili... this is just meat sauce simmered in chili powder, I think... but the consistancy is not soppy but rather thick and hearty. According to the sites I've seen this is the place that invented the "texas hotdog"... in 1924 New Jersey adopted a variation of the texas hotdog to be there own...

You can also get onion rings (my mom's favorites and she likes these ones here... she even said during dinner she's an onion ring snob)... I think they're good because they are not oily... yet they have a crispness to them. You can also get the french fries and also "texas Maccaroni" which is made by putting the chili meat sauce over the maccaroni and cheese!

Now don't be fooled as there are 2 texas hot dogs in town... this is the better one (in my eyes) the other one is over back behind the mall next to a subway. This one is more modernized and has "idiot" teenage girls working there.
a texas style hot dog; according t…

Check Altoona Hotel Deals