Texas Bar

Volgograd, Russia

Texas Bar Volgograd Reviews

krengeseth krengese…
A taste of Texas in Russia? Dec 10, 2008
This place is a real jewel, as I adore quirky places like this.

As an American living in Volgograd for the summer, studying the language and struggling to get through daily activities, the notion of an American themed bar sparked my interest. I wondered how they would portray American culture, particularly that of Texas.

My friend Anton, a native Volgogradian, suggested the place to me, as it was near where we both lived. When we went one evening with one of my fellow American students and a Canadian student, my expectations for the ultimate in kitsch were exceeded by far. Let me tell you a bit about the atmosphere and menu.

When you walk up to the building, you are greeted by Wild West style horse hitching posts and saloon windows. Once inside, and after adjusting to the dim lighting, the first thing you are likely to see is a mounted decorative head of a Native American, flanked by a Texan and Confederate flag. American and Mexican flags abound on the wood decor, and a mannequin Texas Ranger waits beside the door.

We grabbed a table up on the second level, making note of the variety of American memorabilia. Mostly Elvis.

Aesthetics aside, it wasn't until I glanced at the menu that I got the full effect of the image they were conveying about Americans. I like potatoes as much as the next person, but a whole menu page dedicated to potato dishes? We ordered a few pints of beer and everything on the potato part of the menu.

The beer itself wasn't bad, it was basically the same stuff you could get anywhere in the city. They did have a selection of American beer, namely Budweiser. As it turns out, though, such beer is quite the expensive import in Russia, and it ran a bit pricey. We chose Czech beer to accompany our potato assortment.

The food itself, though we ordered basic things, were quite tasty. Their American style fries were just that, and the boiled potatoes were amazing, something I attribute to my newly found appreciation of dill. Most meals I ate in Volgograd were flavored with dill, and these potatoes were no exception.

The icing on the Texan cake was when our server, a friendly girl in her mid-twenties, said she noticed our heavily accented Russian and wanted to know where we were from. Aside from Anton and our Canadian friend, we told her we were from America. She looked quite shocked, as it didn't seem they were used to getting Americans around those parts. We received a free round of beer as a result.

OVERALL: What food we had, though we didn't branch out wildly, was pretty good. The prices were average, though beer was more expensive than other places in town. What really makes this place worth a visit is the atmosphere, especially if you've ever been to Texas.
The grand entrance.
Another view over the entrance.
My fellow American and Canadian fr…

Check Volgograd Hotel Deals