Terrell's Southern BBQ

Somewhere on NE 6 Avenue, Gainesville, FL, USA

Terrell's Southern BBQ Gainesville Reviews

jdsgos jdsgos
Feb 19, 2008
I can't believe that I didn't write about this place first. But here's another one on my BBQ write ups. I found out about this place while working with a bunch of 'brothers' on the U.F. grounds crew. They would rant about Terrell's at the start of the work week. You see, when Terrell's first started the place was only opened from Thursday till Saturday.

So here goes. Terrell's is too die for. Period. It started out as a little trailer (which sells the food) and a little bigger trailer (which housed the smoker and all the fire wood). They would park the trailers any where that they could, and people would always know where to find them. Eventually they settled on a parking lot on NE 6 Avenue and have been there for a few years now. I've heard that they now have a "sit down" place somewhere on Main Street, but the best is still the "walk up" only site. Its strictly a take out kind of place.

Like I said, the place is only open from Thursday till Saturday. If you are lucky and get there before noon on the weekdays, you can the chopped pork sandwich. Trust me, I've been there plenty of times after getting off work and they are all out of the pork sandwich. I would say this says something...its damn good. The pork is served on a plain hamburger bun and is covered with a sweet vinegar based sauce. Maureen usually got it extra wet and it was a mess to finish :-) The ribs are what I usually got. The 'brothers' swear by them and I was right to trust their judgement.

What is great about Terrell's ribs is that the pork meat is cut off the bone for you. Sure there are some rib bones thrown in with every order, but the majority of the pork meat has been cut off the bone for you. And its served the old fashion way, with some plain white bread on the bottom to soak up all the sauce. Yeppers, you know I ate the bread too :-) The ribs can be ordered in a variety of sizes. From the small (a rib sandwich) to the big (a full slab). The sandwich is served old style...with bones and all. The whole slab goes for about $18, the half slab for $10ish I think, to the "pile" which is a big brown paper bag filled with about half a slab for $9. I've never gotten any of those, just too much food. I always got the rib dinner which comes with two sides. And have always been happy with it...plenty of food for two servings actually. For about $12 you can get the rib dinner with two sides, a dessert, a bag of chip and soda.

All of the sides that are served at Terrell's are pretty good too. The potato salad is a little on the sweet side, but its very good. The mac and cheese is made the old fashion way, baked off with alot of melted cheese on top. But the desserts are the best. All of them are home made. The red velvet cake is rich, dark, and super moist. The sweet potato pie is awesome. Probably the best that I have every had, and I'm pretty picky about my sweet potato pie. Sure the crust is store bought, but that sweet potato filling is to die for. Its pretty bad when there were a few times that I would buy a whole pie and eat it all at once. I can honestly blame Terrell's for adding a few pounds to my overweightness :-) And I don't mind one little bit.

Terrell's is old fashion Southern BBQ at its best. Its cheap, its very good and filling, and the people that run the counter are extremely warm and friendly and always smiling. If you want to pig out, this is the place to do it. The menu is short, but everything on it is pretty good. Yes, I have tried everything on the menu just mainly because they always ran out of everything by the time I got there. They always ran out because there is always a line and the food is well worth the wait.
A dinner with two sides and the sa…

Check Gainesville Hotel Deals