Centro Histórico, Cartagena, Colombia
(+57 5) 665 5531
Teriyaki Sushi Bar - Teriyaki Sushi Bar in Plaza de San Diego
Teriyaki Sushi Bar - Teriyaki Sushi Bar
Teriyaki Sushi Bar - An 11 piece menu (which was only 10 pieces)

Teriyaki Sushi Bar Cartagena Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
My worst sushi experience! Mar 07, 2013
I'm a great sushi lover and when I found Teriyaki Sushi Bar recommended in a magazine in my hotel room, I just had to try it. The restaurant was located on the charming Plaza de San Diego in the old town of Cartagena. They have both indoor dining and tables outside in the plaza.

The problem started with the menu. The waiter was totally lost and had no clue about sushi and no knowledge of the menu. I ordered an 11 piece menu ( 5 nigeri and 6 maki). In the menu it said that the 5 nigeri pieces was at ones own choice. When I told him what I wanted (2 salmon, 2 tuna and 1 scallop) he said that they had to be like on the picture in the menu. I referred to what the menu said, then he said that the 5 pieces had to be different. Don't know where he got that from. After a bit of discussion I got what I wanted.

The nigeri was small, had no wasabi and the rice was more like firm porridge then proper sushi rice. The salmon was edible, the tuna was bright red and a bit scary looking. The tast was wired. The scallop was very strange, flat and square. When I put it in my mouth the texture was like pudding. It was far from good and I had to spit it out in my serviett. The wasabi that came with the menu was very little and very dry and the ginger consisted of only two small pieces. What a disappointment! When I later looked at the photo I took, I realized that they only gave me 10 pieces, and not 11. For this experience I paid $30. A rip off!

Teriyaki Sushi Bar also serves Asian cuisine with traditional dishes from Japan, Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore. The food in pictures in the menu looked good, but with my bad sushi experience I'm not going to trust them on other food either. My verdict is definitely "DO NOT ORDER" sushi at Teriyaki Sushi Bar. When I went to bed I was worried that I would wake up during the night feeling sick.

In the magazine, which recommended Teriyaki Sushi Bar, it said: "its commitment to service, the exquisite taste of their dishes, and the ambition to continuously improve and update the menu, makes Teriyaki the best option to eat out". It couldn't be more wrong!
An 11 piece menu (which was only 1…
sarahsan says:
Alyssa, you are right! Colombia was not the best place for sushi! I just thought that since Cartagena was by the ocean, it would have fresh fish!
Posted on: Mar 16, 2013
alyssa_ob says:
Bummer! It looks like it would be a nice place. And sushi is expensive so you want it to be good! Thanks for sharing this. (But maybe Columbia isn't known for their sushi?)
Posted on: Mar 14, 2013
Stigen says:
Bra vi ikke gikk der...selv om det var i orginalplanen...gratulerer med feature !
Posted on: Mar 12, 2013