Teppan Jinjya

06-6214-2855

Teppan Jinjya Osaka Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Not a must! Dec 10, 2013
I was walking through the shopping arcades in the Namba area and when I reached the river it was time to get something to eat. I had read about the Teppan Jinjya in the Explorer Osaka guide and wanted to try it. The restaurant is located by the river, only a five minutes walk from Namba subway station.

Their speciality is skewer. These are creatively cooked on a Teppan (iron pan). A typical Osaka style speciality. They also serve teppan grilled food, rice dishes, soup and dessert. The restaurant is quite small with seating along the wall or by a counter overlooking the teppan. In the guide brochure it said that they offered both an English menu and English speaking staff. The latter was not so.

Since I hadn't had time for breakfast nor lunch, I ended up eating there at 4 pm. This was far from a busy time, I was the only one in the restaurant. The good thing was that I got plenty of attention from the 7 waiters and chefs.

When I was ready to order, the waiter gave me a form to fill inn. It was in both Japanese and English. I went for a variety of skewers (asparagus wrapped with pork, stuffed lotus root, chicken wing, scallop eye, snow crab wrapped with kadaif (fine vermicilli like fry batter also called angle hair), salmon and duck with scallion. To drink I ordered sake, a Koshinoiso made in Fukui. It was a little dry, just the way I like it. Instead of getting all the skewers at once, I got two at a time. This way the food was always warm. Both my waiter and the chef had a good laugh when they served me Norwegian salmon. In Japan all pieces of the chicken is eaten, so the skewer had both joints, skin and fat on the meat. Same thing with the duck. It had more fat than meat. The rest of my skewers were very nice.

The food was perfectly cooked and very tasty, BUT each skewer only had one piece of meat/fish and it was small. I'm not a big eater, but after 9 skewer I could still have had more. Each skewer is cheap, but since you get so little food on each, the final bill ends up not being so cheap.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the Teppan Jinjya. The food was good (minus the fat), but the menu is misleading (all photos have two skewers on each plate to make it look like 2 is 1 order) and it was very little food.

If you decide to pay them a visit, they are open 7 days a week from 11 am to 3 am.

Direction: use Namba subway exit no 14. Walk to the river, then turn right. The restaurant is at the end of the second block.
Dotonbori entrance