Tenka Japanese Restaurant

Tenka Japanese Restaurant - B-street roll

Tenka Japanese Restaurant San Mateo Reviews

madeleine madeleine
Sep 24, 2007
Good rolls, great sashimi, lots of food, reasonable prices.

John and I went to San Mateo to find a new restaurant to try. We parked on 2nd street near B street and went searching for food. Surprisingly, not a lot of restaurants were open yet. It only took us a few minutes to find a place that looked appetizing at 6 o'clock.

Tenka is located a few doors down from Himawari (a yummy ramen restaurant). Glass windows and open doors allowed us to take a good look at the place from the outside before going in, and the small koi pond attracted my attention.

We were quickly greeted with a smile and seated after entering. The restaurant wasn't very crowded at the time. There were only 2 other tables and a few people at the bar. I flipped through the menu and noticed there was happy hour going on - great! Happy Hour occurs Monday - Sunday, 5pm-7pm.

I didn't order anything from the Happy Hour menu since I already wanted two specialty rolls, Maryland roll and B-Street roll, and salmon sashimi. John ordered the bento box where he got to pick 3 choices - sashimi, chicken katsu and shumai (dumplings). His meal came with salad and miso soup appetizer as well.

The food came out fairly quick. We didn't have to wait too long unlike some other sushi restaurants I've been to. John received his soup and salad first before anything else came. The salad was mediocre. I didn't try the soup.

Next came my salmon sashimi and John's bento. The salmon sashimi looked great. 6 slices total, cut wasn't too thin or too thick and the salmon didn't look too fatty. My first bite into the fish was delicious!!! It tasted very fresh and the salmon was a little chill - just the way I like it! I don't like room tempurature or warm sashimi. I will definitely come back here for my salmon sashimi cravings. Price was fair - $9.

John's bento looked wonderful as well. Presentation was clean with watermelon and orange slices as dessert in the lower corners. He received 6 slices of sashimi (3 tuna and 3 salmon), 5-6 dumpings and a generous amount of chicken katsu. Considering he also had appetizers, this was a huge meal. For $14.95, he's definitely getting his moneys worth :)

Then came the other half of my meal - The Maryland and B-Street roll. The Maryland had soft shell crab with avocado & spicy mayonnaise wrapped in soy bean paper. The B-Street roll had spicy tuna rolled with salmon and avocado. I tried the Maryland roll first. I couldn't taste the spicy mayonnaise at all. The soy bean paper wrap was interesting though. It gave the roll a lime green color. Overall, it was OK. Wasn't a bad soft shell crab roll, but I've definitely had better. The B-street roll was filled with tuna in the middle and salmon and avocado exterior...great for salmon and tuna fans. This one was good. I liked how it was filled with fish. Both rolls were pretty big and I easily could share each one with another person.

Wasabi was pretty strong, which is good in my opinion. I did think that the rice used in the rolls was different than what I'm used to? It tasted close to regular rice that I usually eaten during family style dinners. It wasn't the firmer, stickier rice that I'm used to having with rolls or sushi.

Overall, this is a place I'd go back to again and again or take friends out for dinner. Tenka is very open and tables are far apart. Atmosphere is bright and looks clean. Service is also good. Our waters were always refilled and I notice the waitress always looking to see if we needed anything or if she was able to clean something off our table. Pricing is reasonable. It's not cheap, but I don't think it's over-priced either. Total for both of us was ~45, that included 2 specialty rolls, sashimi and bento box meal.

Can't wait to go back and try another roll.
Salmon sashimi
John's bento - sashimi, dumplings …
Maryland roll