Tendermaid Hamburger

217 4th Ave Ne , Austin, MN, USA

Tendermaid Hamburger Austin Reviews

pinchora pinchora
Minnesota's oldest hamburger shop? Jun 20, 2008
The Tendermaid Hamburger shop has been around for over 70 years and in a small little shop house that looks out of place for it's surrounding.

Once walking in there is a bar going around the center of the restaurant and in there is the ingredients for their famaous hamburger and malts.

When we walked in we sat down at the bar... the guy asked if we were eating here or taking it with us... when we said eating here he brought us over a spoon and that was it. And asked for our orders.

At this point I felt like I was in a scene from the movie "My Cousin Vinny"... you know where Joe Pesci and Marissa Tomei go into the local restaurant for breakfast... there they contemplate on what to eat and finally you see that there's only 3 choices... breakfast, lunch and dinner... except at the Tendermaid there were only 5 types of burgers and that's it....there was a very large selection of malts---my mom got the blackberry and my roomate got butterscotch and both said they were delicious.

We ordered, my roomate and I got the southwestern burger which had BBQ saucse, bacon, onion and the hamburger and my mom got the Ranch Burger which had Ranch dressing, onions, bacon and hamburger. The food came up really quickly (it was less than a 2 minute wait for 3 meals) and we saw why... In the center of the bar there is an island with a slide back top... and the server went and got a metal spattula and pulled out browned ground meat (not packed together) and placed the loose-meat on the hamburger bun which he already dressed with the sauce. I later found out that the hamburger meat had the onions and bacon already mixed in---I couldn't taste it. We found out that all the burgers are loose-meat burger and that's why you get a spoon.

I would like to apologize to Mel because I didnt get a photograph... I realized I didn't as I already ate half the sandwich... I was starving and was sure you didn't want to see my half eaten burger.

Also, the only web page I could find was from the Austin Daily Herald... read it because it's interesting... basically on June 21, 2008 the Tendermaid is considered the "14th-best burger statewide to grace tastebuds" according to the Minnesota Monthly magazine.
diwaller says:
I'm from Austin, and I try to go back to the Tendermaid every time I'm in the area. The last time I was there, they only had 2 choices - burger or cheeseburger! The malts are to die for.
Posted on: Jun 23, 2011