Temple of Colosse

Chemin Champ-Borne, Saint-Andre, Reunion

Temple of Colosse Saint-Andre Reviews

vances vances
A Colossal Temple Oct 18, 2011
An exquisite Hindu temple in Saint-Andre, visiting Colosse is heartily recommended. My Lonely Planet guide seemed to think this site was not open to the public, but I followed some other visitors beyond an open gate and because there was a sign asking that you remove your shoes, it seemed okay to walk about the grounds. Nobody accosted me or the other guests during the twenty minutes or so that we were checking out the beauty of the temple. After returning home I found a web site which expressed it was okay to walk the grounds, just don’t enter the temple (there is a sign at the temple entrance indicating something is required to enter, but I couldn't translate).

The original temple was built in the 1800’s, and its successor was constructed by artisans from Madras, India. The temple is dedicated to Pandialé, a Hindu goddess who walked through fire without burning to prove her virginity. There is an annual celebration of this feat (usually in December or January) where followers of the faith do the fire walk. Sounds like a hot event!

Can’t say I know what the hours are, but even if you happen upon this splendid temple when the gate is closed, viewing the vivid colors and amazing details through the fence is still awesome (and I guess it is fully open during daylight since there are no attendants).
Here we are!
Entrance gate
Thanks to my brilliant understandi…
Temple of Colosse, Saint-Andre, Re…
vances says:
Thanks all, and especially Glynnes --> I can never smile or leave a personal thnx on your profile, so hopefully you will see my gratitude here and know how much I appreciate it!

:^)

And thanks all again - you made my day!
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! :D
monky says:
Congrats on your today's featured review Vance interesting and beautiful jewel!:)
Posted on: Sep 06, 2012

Compare Saint-Benoit Hotel Rates (11.6km away)

Temple of Colosse Map