Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies

Panorama Stra├če, Berlin, Germany
Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies  - Me, still hung over, from the night before
Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies  - On the viewing platform, floor below the restaurant (see, not so scarey)
Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies  - der Fernsehturm (television tower)
Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies  - View of Nikolaiviertel and the church, from the viewing platform
Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies  - Another view from the viewing plaform, better taking photos here, than in the restaurant
Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies  - Breakfast in the revolving restaurant

Television Tower - Breakfast in the Skies Berlin Reviews

skiathos skiathos
Gastromony and Panoramic views across Berlin from a height of 200+ metres Jul 31, 2011
A fantastic way to start a day's sightseeing, a highlight for any visitor to Berlin and a great place for a celebration.

This revolving restaurant at the top of the Fernsehturm (television tower) gives fantastic, panoramic views across the entire city. The restaurant does a full 360 rotation every half hour or so, so you can enjoy the views whilst eating, as well as from the viewing platform on the floor below.

There are always huge queues for the television tower, so I recommend using the attached website to book tickets in advance. You can select your preferred language by clicking on the appropriate flag. You can buy VIP tickets online this way or just reserve a restaurant table for up to 8 in advance, then pay for the entry to the viewing platform separately at the kiosk.

I have reserved tables here twice, once for dinner and once for breakfast and then paid the extra for the viewing platform, but without having to stand in the queues, which I really don't have the patience for.

It's not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either. The menu is excellent, silver service-like staff very attentive, but not annoyingly so.

If you go in the evening, I recommend one of their fabulous ice-cream sundaes for desert - complete with sparklers! I had wild boar for mains, a first for me (bit on the dry side though). My friend wanted the rabbit, but was kind and choose something else, to avoid upsetting me (I'm a big fan of rabbits and double standards).

However, I have to say I think I preferred the breakfast, as it was a great way to start a day's sightseeing in summer. The views were crystal clear and it's very centrally located. From here, you can work your way down Under den Linden, stopping off along the way at the Nikolaiviertel, Gendarmenmarkt and Check-Point Charlie on Friedrichstra├če - down to the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag (parliament).

Special note for people who have vertigo, I suffer from it too, but I have no problems here. I get a bit of ear popping, but you can always suck on a sweet for that. The lift that takes you up and down is closed, so no view, but no vertigo either (for me at any rate) and there is a multi-lingual lift attendant, who travels with you.

Because the viewing platform is enclosed and you are not stood right on the edge of anything, as there are guide boards between you and the glass, you don't get that horrid wierd vertigo feeling and have the added benefit of knowing what you are looking at.

There is also a bar here, so you could sit down if you needed to. There's a Garderobe (an attendant run cloak room), so you can check in coats and other clobber.

When you go up a floor in the lift to the restaurant, the floor is motionless when you get out the lift and when you step on to the moving part of it to get to your table, it is moving very slowly, so not awkward at all. Just watch your step when you leave your table and head to the lift, especially if you've had any alcohol.

When you sit at the table, don't put anything near the edge closest to the glass, as there is a gap things can slip down; one of my friends lost her sunhat this way and I've heard of people loosing there sunglasses and even false teeth that way!

If you go, I hope you and your friends enjoy it as much as we have.

Facts: The Tower is 368 meters high, making it Berlin's highest landmark. In the old days of the German Democratic Republic, the restaurant took twice as long to do a full 360 rotation.
der Fernsehturm (television tower)
Breakfast in the revolving restaur…
Me, still hung over, from the nigh…
On the viewing platform, floor bel…

Check Berlin Hotel Deals