"Tecumseh" Outdoor Drama

5968 Marietta Road, Chillicothe, OH, USA

"Tecumseh" Outdoor Drama Chillicothe Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Epic life story of a great leader Jul 23, 2011
Every year, I try to find something nearby, affordable, and unique for my birthday / our wedding anniversary. Having seen a few outdoor dramas in the past, I wanted to check out “Tecumseh”; the outdoor drama just outside Chillicothe, Ohio.

Finding the theatre was extremely easy. It’s well marked off of route 23 – just follow the signs. Parking is in well maintained stone lots. Note that unless you have a handicap plate, you will need to walk up a couple flights of unlit metal steps. Unlit isn’t a problem going into the theatre, but it was a bit of a challenge coming out of the theatre.

Having reserved our tickets on the phone a few days before, I was pleasantly surprised that we had excellent seats about half way up in the center. I couldn’t have asked for a better view. Seating is reserved, so I highly recommend getting your tickets reserved as soon as possible before your visit to guarantee good seats. Being outdoors, there’s really no ‘cap’ and I don’t imagine they’ll sell out (there is standing room only areas), but standing or sitting on a nearby ledge for a little over 3 hours would be uncomfortable. You can rent a seat cushion. The seats are fold-down plastic.

You may want to arrive a bit early as there is a small museum and gift shop. There is also a buffet (outdoor) which is open a few hours before the show. You can purchase buffet tickets and behind-the-scenes tours as well. See their website (http://www.tecumsehdrama.com/) for current prices.

The drama itself runs from June - September, Monday - Saturday. It is not recommended for children under 6 years old because of violent war scenes, which I would agree with. However, there were many young children and babies at the drama. Many cried at the gunshots, so please heed their advice and leave the young ones at home. It is the story of the rise, life story, and death of the Native American who struggled to maintain his sacred Ohio homelands in the late 1700’s.

A few people did need to leave part way through the drama due to excessive heat and humidity, so if you are not heat tolerant you may want to wait until the later fall productions when the weather has cooled. We are experiencing an unusually warm summer in the area, but I imagine anything over 85 degrees with 95% humidity can get uncomfortable.

I grew up in an area rich in Native American history; yet it was never of great interest to me. However, after this drama I understand a bit more about the history. I found the drama to be insightful and powerful, as well as interesting and enjoyable. I thought it was an excellent value for around $22 per ticket. I will go see it again.

I would recommend this activity to people who:

- have an interest in American history

- have interest in Native American culture

- are from the Ohio area or have family in the Ohio area

- enjoy dramas, plays, and stage productions

PLEASE NOTE: Cameras are not allowed in the ampitheatre, so all included pictures are scans of postcards I purchased in the gift shops with photo credits to: Joe Murray.

Related Travel Blogs About "Tecumseh" Outdoor Drama

Finally seeing the sights
If you've read some of my other blogs (the fireworks ones in particular) you'll know that I'm no stranger to the city of Chillicothe.  However, every time I've been there, I've worked 19 hour da…Chillicothe (see review).  I immediately called and booked, remembering that I also wanted to see the outdoor drama "Tecumseh

Check Chillicothe Hotel Deals