Teahouse scam in Beijing

Beijing, China

Teahouse scam in Beijing Reviews

ScottG ScottG
Don't trust the pretty ladies Jun 02, 2012
Never follow anyone that suggests a visit to a tea house. They (usually one or two pretty girls) will come up to you in the street, lure you in with their charm, tell you they want to practice their English, and then casually suggest a tea house they know. Whatever you do, DO NOT follow them. You will go inside for a "tea ceremony" and then get slapped with an outrageous bill. This happened to a buddy of mine and he didn't even realize it was a scam. Not to say that every stranger who approaches you is a scam artist, but just be wary.
apop says:
Shanghai same deal. Luckily I didnt go with them, and when it happened the second time I knew something wasnt right :-)
Posted on: Jun 03, 2013
ScottG says:
Haha I guess that's true. But I think you'll find that in any place with gullible tourists.
Posted on: Jun 02, 2012
spicyricecake says:
Hah I've heard about the same thing happening to lots of people...I love China, but the whole country tries to scam people in various ways.
Posted on: Jun 02, 2012
tmalbracht tmalbrac…
Typical tourist trap Jun 01, 2011
While in China my friend and I were victims of the infamous "teahouse scam" that takes part all over Beijing. Typical tourist trap, really. We were approached by some University students who really wanted to talk to us and "practice their English." To make a long story short, they invited us to a teahouse for a traditional ceremony. It was pretty neat to see, but then they brought out the bill. It was outrageous! We dished out all the cash we had, which was everything. The girls worked for the teahouse and they made a profit on what they brought in. Us, the tourists. Be sure to steer clear of situations like this.
apop says:
Shanghai same deal. Luckily I caught on to it :-)
Posted on: Jun 03, 2013