Tea Ceremony

Tea Ceremony - The guests

Tea Ceremony Kyoto Reviews

didohappy didohappy
Tradition Jun 15, 2011
The Japanese tea ceremony is an reflection of Zen Buddhism, is studied to bring on calmness. I was so lucky I could experience it in Kyoto. Such an amazing tradition and learn about that beautiful culture. The green tea prepared was bitter. For that it comes with a sweet cake made of rice. There were certain rules to follow for the ceremony, ex how to sit, how to hold the tea mug and drink, how to say thank you. It was just serenity.
YantiSoeparno YantiSoe…
An amazing cultural experience Jan 17, 2007
Respect and beauty are dominant things showed in a tea ceremony. I was so lucky I could experience it at Bikoen Tea House, Kyoto. It is a tea shop at the front and a house at the back. We were received by the hosts, an old man and his son. That time, the son was the one who became The Tea Master.

After all sat in a circle, The Tea Master made the tea bowl by bowl. His movement was smooth and skillful. Before The Tea Master gave a bowl of tea to a guest, he bowed to him. The guest bowed back. After the guest received the bowl, the master bowed again and the guest bowed back. The guest who got his bowl of tea could drink it without waiting until all guests got.

The tea was distributed clockwise. When a guest wanted to drink his tea first, he bowed and looked to another guest who sat at the left side of him and said “osakini”. It was meant to ask permission to drink first. The other guest bowed back and looked to the previous guest and said “dozo”. And so on.

The bowls used had different pictures. They were all pretty. The green tea prepared was thick and bitter. That was why, it was accompanied by sweet cake made of rice. The cake had a pretty shape, white rabbit.

Following a tea ceremony is absolutely an unforgetable cultural experience. You will be amazed by it!!!
The sweet cake
The utensils
The Tea Master
The guests
YantiSoeparno says:
Thanks for the congrats Chris, Agi, Andrew, and Vikram ;-) I really appreciate it ;D
Vikram says:
Thanks for the explanation. I knew that asking for tea in a Japan tearoom is more than just raising your cup and shouting "waiter, I want more!".
Andy99 says:
Nice review! Congrats on your feature!

Related Travel Blogs About Tea Ceremony

red leaves in Kyoto
My mother applied to join tea ceremony party, and it fell on us! So my mother and I went to Kyoto to join the party. oh, we don't do tea ceremony:P It was on 23rd, and maple trees are at their best n…ceremony party, and it fell on us! So my mother and I went to Kyoto to join the party. oh, we don't do tea ceremony
Kyoto Day 2
We spent today wandering around the city of Kyoto and some of the wonderful temples and rock gardens that dot the metropolis.  Honestly, I can't really recall names at the moment, but they all h…tea ceremony experience" here in Kyoto, and quite frankly, it was just not worth it.  For 1500 yen you had a drink…
Day 5 in Kyoto - Temple Hopping
We ate pastries for breakfast that we bought the night before from a bakery close to Gion. After breakfast, we walked about ten blocks to the first temple on the itinerary, Sanjusangendo Temple.&…tea ceremony, koto music, ikebana, gagaku (court music), kyogen (ancient comic play), Kyomai (kyoto style dance), and bunraku (puppet play…

Check Kyoto Hotel Deals