Te Papa Tongarewa

www.tepapa.govt.nz - +64 (0)4 381 7000

Te Papa Tongarewa Wellington Reviews

shirlan shirlan
Interesting fun Jan 07, 2010
This is a multi level museum that although it is free, they also have some shows/displays that you do need to pay to go in to see.

We chose just to have a bit of a look around. It would be ideal to spend a full day here or do 1 level each time you go.

The bits that we saw in the short time we were there were great. It was school holidays and there were lots of hands on things for the kids to get involved in. There was also a large area of displays like rows of umbrellas that would open and close like a choreography. In another area they had a room set up where the story of a sea voyage was enacted but it was done with hologram lighting. There is also a room that is set up to go into, it is a re enactment of an earthquake. You watch the devastation of the area as they would have shown it on the tv at the time and then suddenly there is a boom and the room starts shaking. It is a strange feeling but you could start to imagine what it must be like to get caught in an earthquake.

Another thing that I found very interesting was the corogated sculptures/figures, one of a cow made out of Spam tins.

Outside of the museum there is a basement type of set up that shows the earths layers.
This looked like a Hologram
This is the boat in the Hologram/l…
These umbrellas opened and closed …
RainyDayToast RainyDay…
Te Papa Museum Feb 27, 2010
Best of all this museum is free! It's rather large with heaps of fantastic and well appointed exhibits and areas. Always have an addition exhibit which costs about $20 or so. At the time we went they had one on Pompeii with lots of information and artifacts.

From their website:

"Te Papa is New Zealand’s national museum, renowned for being bicultural, scholarly, innovative, and fun. Our success is built on our relationships with and ability to represent our community.

Our collections span five areas: Art, History, Pacific, Māori, and Natural Environment. Our exhibitions are interdisciplinary and interactive, and we have dynamic events and education programmes. We also have thriving commercial enterprises, including a publishing division, conference operations, and retail stores."
goezi goezi
Our Place Dec 17, 2008
The first time I visited "Our Place" or Te Papa, NZ's national museum, was about 10 years ago. It was quite new then, perhaps in it's first year of operating? I found the whole experience okay but the place itself was confusing in it's layout. I had trouble finding my way around and that left me wondering if I had seen everything I was hoping to see.

This time I was able to remember the placement of the permanent exhibits so i just had to navigate the new displays. There was much that had changed in the past decade but much that was still the same and which had interested me enough that I was able to remember it and still enjoy it anew.

A large part of the museum is dedicated to Maori but there is also a floor of artworks with a more European feel, or simply contemporary.

Other things of note are the Kiwiana exhibits displayed in a mish-mash fashion in an area that must best be described as a maze. go in, get lost, look at the pieces from several angles as you try to find your way out again. Perhaps it was designed that way???

I loved the Pacific display. Artworks, photographs, cloth and music. My home town of Tokoroa has a strong pacific Island culture so it felt familiar to me but had much to teach.

The good thing about Te Papa is that you can feel free to take photographs everywhere but in the Art Gallery. It's a friendly space with helpful staff should you feel a little lost.

They also have special exhibits coming through now and again. These you have to pay to see.

Highlights are the giant squid, the interactive map of the country on the floor and of course that fantastic HQ Holden made of corrugated iron by Jeff Thompson -pure Kiwi!!
Te Papa - Our Place
Rich Maori exhibitions
Enjoy sculpture from different per…
View of Wellington from the back g…
pyrrho pyrrho
If Carlsberg made museums May 21, 2008
Beside the Natural History Museum in London, this is the best museum I have ever been to. I think you could easily spend two days in here and not cover everything; it felt like I kept skipping past exhibits, as I wanted to see it all in just one day.

The history of the Maori colonization of New Zealand is absolutely fascinating, even more so - as I had recently been to Hawaii, where you can see some of the similarities in culture.

There are usually some paid-for exhibitions going on, though entry into the museum is free. I heartily recommend that you make a good donation to a thoroughly engaging and enlightening museum.

Check Wellington Hotel Deals