Te Anau

Te Anau, New Zealand

Te Anau Reviews

Besandri Besandri
My Destination down South Aug 31, 2014
TeAnau is my destination when going "down South"

Most people have trouble pronouncing it so don't worry if you are corrected.

My fishing mate has been going there twice per year for the last 15 years and still can not say it correctly without me saying something.

It is not as touristy as Queenstown and the only real reason that most tourist will go there is as a stop off on the way to Milford Sound.

If they ever complete the tunnel from Queenstown to Milford then TeAnau will suffer greatly.

But for me I like TeAnau. I can go for a day trip into Milford and along the way see some magnificent scenery. If you are not a confident driver then the bus from TeAnau is well worth doing. You get to see more, and still stop at a few popular spots along the way.

If you are into hiking then this is a great location for you. A lot of independent bus companies arrange pickups and drop offs to all the main hiking trails.

Or if you are like me and into fishing there are lots of nearby rivers. I won't bore anyone with writing about fishing, only to say that it is good. Even the "little" Upuk river on the edge of town is great fishing :) ... Sorry I said I was not going to talk about fishing, but couldn't help myself.

From TeAnau it is only a short drive to Manipouri, it is a hydro lake that supply power to the Aluminium smelter in Invercargill (where I was born).

One trip that I have not yet done is to go out to Doubtful Sound, I have seen a lot of info on this and it is certainly on my bucket list, but it is expensive.

Perhaps I will be content with the trip out into Milford Sound, well worth doing if you go to Milford.

Check Te Anau Hotel Deals