Taza Pir Mosque

Baku, Azerbaijan
Taza Pir Mosque - Taza Mosque -- Baku, Azerbaijan
Taza Pir Mosque - The inside of Taza currently under construction.
Taza Pir Mosque - Yasamal Slopes meets Taza

Taza Pir Mosque Baku Reviews

mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
Taza Mosque Apr 05, 2008
Since moving to Baku, I have desired to visit the Taza Mosque. The only problem is it has been getting restored since before I came here. I have been there several times prior to this most recent visit, but the sheer amount of workers have made it impossible to do anything except walk around the outside walls.

The Taza was built in the early 1900s. It is the center of all Islamic activities in Azerbaijan.

One of the interesting things of the Taza Mosque is it is in the Yasamal Slopes area of Baku. Yasamal is an area that predates Azerbaijan joining the Soviet Union. It is also an area that the Soviets never got around to tearing down and rebuilding. There is this stark contrast between the crumbling and dilapidated buildings where many of the local Azeris live and this incredibly majestic mosque. While I am fascinated with religious dwellings at the same time seeing the slums juxtaposed with a remodeled mosque strongly reconfirms my agnosticism.

I should note that Yasamal Slopes is not a place where many foreigners tread. It is unfortunate because this is a glimpse into old Baku. It was evidently clear that seeing a foreigner here was a rare occurance with the number of the people waving to me. My previous journeys through this area have always resulted in people being fascinated that I am there. I have never felt uncomfortable going here. In fact, people are very friendly towards visitors.

The mosque is not currently complete and they will stop anyone from taking pictures from the inside although that has never stopped me before. There is an opening at one of the corners of the surrounding walls from where one can easily sneak in. I was stopped by one of the security guys after taking one photo. I used my bad Azeri and was told the mosque will reopen in 3-5 months which in Azeri talk could mean next year. I am planning on returning to the mosque before i leave Azerbaijan. i will go there with money in hand so i can pay to take some photos from the inside.
Taza Mosque -- Baku, Azerbaijan
Yasamal Slopes meets Taza
The inside of Taza currently under…
Marius1981 says:
done. so this is me readin you 84 blogs bout azerbaijan. so i'm up to date now, so no more tons of messages when you sign in next time. :)
waiting in anticipation! (for yer next blog of course)
cheers!