Tate Modern

London, England

Tate Modern London Reviews

moviegal226 moviegal…
Free Art Museum in London Sep 30, 2016
I love the Tate Modern so much! While the collection isn't vast, it's great and what's on display changes quite often. The Tate Modern can be tackled in less than an hour (but art lovers like myself will probably want to allow a bit more time to peruse the facility). You can easily hop inside and take a peek at just a few works and be in and out in less than 15 minutes. The museum has free admission to the main gallery areas (films, special exhibitions and events have an admission fee), but it's polite to drop a few pounds in the collection boxes located around the museum.

I was surprised to find some American abstract expressionist artists' work featured, including a breathtaking Jackson Pollock hanging right next to a Lee Krasner (come on art nerds, I know you are as giddy about this as I am)! The other big boys are here too, from Joan Miro, Edward Degas and Ashille Gorky to Franz Kline, Roy Lichtenstein and David Hockney. There's an exceptional exhibition space for up and coming modern artists too. I've found new works to admire during each and every visit I've made here.

Make sure you leave a little time to browse the fantastic museum gift shop. The view from the shop's tall glass windows is worthy of a photo stop. The Jubilee station is the closest Tube stop for the museum.

Honestly, how can you beat a museum that's FREE and open to the public? If you're in London, you have no excuse. Now go get your art on!
Vipin Vipin
Miserable building but slick and thought-provoking art Sep 07, 2011
While the building itself seems a little strange (a bit like an abandoned building that has been done up), the contents are rather impressive. Although donations are appreciated, and they have exhibitions which require payment, this is a free museum that opens up a vast array of modern art to visitors. I was drawn to some of the big names that were here - Picasso, Rothko, Pollock etc. It’s great to see some of the rather famous and expensive paintings - it was an honour but I also thought why are some of these worth so much. Unexpectedly, the odd paintings were very fun to see too. The composition or objects were just so ordinary, but quite often, this just made me smile and think about things differently. The museum is very good with a background summary too, which really helps you to understand the reasons behind the artwork.

Consisting of several floors, there is a lot here. I thought the floors were rather organized, and the museum leaflet which gives an overview is very good. I would definitely, as I did, pick a couple of areas and focus just on these to avoid museum fatigue.
Vipin says:
indeedy, but i couldn't light that candle for it was a work of art!
bernard69 says:
I saw something that would give u some light:)
Vipin says:
i knew someone would enlighten me! thanks Sarah Elaine :)
mosted mosted
Modern Art, maybe just not for me? Dec 31, 2010
I cannot understand what people like about this place.

The space in this impressive huge building could be used much better. It's the biggest modern art museum in the world, but thats only because of the dimensions of the building itself, not cause of the things you'll see. My girlfriend wanted to visit it, but she was not able to say that it was good either (and she's not that "anti-modern-art").

The first huge and impressive hall (rather hangar) was just.....empty (but ok, sometimes there are temporary exhibitions). There were lots of escaltors that took you to different floors with again big rooms with only one single picture in it...and that picture had 3 red dots - WOW!

Its a big waste of space in my opinion, could be used much better, e.g. for a laserdome :-) (Barney Stinson would rate this idea as legen....wait for it....dary!) just kidding.

Well I'm not a philistine but I differentiate between people who have real skill and others who sell such things as art (exceptions prove the rule!).

OK, in it's defense I have to say that we didnt visit every single floor and that there are also -a few- nice things to see. The building itself is also cool though, thats for sure and thats why you could visit it if you are in this area anyway. Just make your own picture of it. At least the entrance is free. Modern Art.....lol (OK maybe I made some enemies by writing that ^^).

By the way, the attached photo explains pretty good ;-)
Glynnes Glynnes
Contemporary Art Powerhouse Sep 30, 2010
Tate Modern Museum is a must see whenever I am in London. You will find an extensive collection of contemporary art from "Whaam!" by Roy Lichtenstein to "Gun" by Andy Warhol at the Tate Modern Museum. I especially enjoyed viewing the sculpture entitled: “Unique Forms of Continuity in Space” (1913) by Umberto Boccioni and tje artworks entitled: “Spiral Concept Waiting” by Lucio Fontana as well as “Soft Drainpipe Blue (Cool) Version” (1967) by Claes Oldenburg.

Situated on the southern banks of the Thames River in the former Bankside power station, admission to the Tate Modern is free, except for special exhibitions. The best way to get to the Tate Modern Museum is to walk across the Millennium Bridge after visiting the St. Paul’s Cathedral. The Jubilee Line to Southwalk Underground stop or ride the Tate boat (www.tate.org.uk/tatetotate) that travels the Thames River between the Tate Britain and Tate Modern for an astonishing view of the Thames. Tate Modern is open Sundays through Thursdays from 10.00–18.00, Fridays and Saturdays from 10.00–22.00 and closed from 24 through 26 of December.
Tate Modern Entrance
The Acrobat and his Partner by F…
Portrait of a Doctor by Francis …
matthew matthew
The Tate Modern Mar 28, 2008
I'm quite a big fan of certain types of art and artists. The Tate, for me, didn't live up to it's international reputation. Although there are seven floors, only two actually have pieces available to view free of charge to the general public.

It is free of charge and can be useful to pass a few hours if you're looking for cheaper options, but I believe the time to see the Tate would be during particular exhibits. The museum does host pieces such as the Terracotta Warriors, King Tutankhamun's Gold, and the Bodies exhibition from time to time, so it may be worth keeping an eye on up and coming events. These do cost money and the price does vary for the particular event, but I gather these sre well worth the entrance fee if that's your thing.
jhoc jhoc
Tate Modern - great for some not for others Aug 19, 2008
The Tate Modern does it what it says on the tin offering a ton of modern art in a converted power plant. For the modern lover, you could spend 4+ hours touring the free exhibits and then probably another couple of hours on the pay exhibits.

I've walked the whole free area a couple of times and I'll admit some of the stuff in there is a bit scary (I'm thinking of the stuffed bird pinned to the wall by an arrow). There are a number of famous paintings and drawings (Dali’s and Picasso’s will appeal to the masses).

The floors are clearly divided by type of art and you can get a map letting you know where things are to avoid spending too much time walking around areas you haven't got an interest in.

The museum offers a lot by way of videos in addition to the painting, drawings and sculpture. There are a number of blacked out rooms showing some interesting films using sound and cinematography.

My favourite bit is the free exhibition area in the basement of the building. Exhibits come and go here frequently, sometimes they haven't got anything. They are typically educational as well as artistic and free and easy to get to. I'll often pop in just to see this and leave. If you don't like modern art you might find it worth your while to at least take 10 minutes and see what they have on, could change your impression!

On the top floor they also have a nice cafe where you can get food and drink and sit with great views across the river to the city. This is a free way to get up high and get some cool London photos so it is worth a stop as well on a nice day.
xxwishnonstarzz xxwishno…
Interesting for a visit! May 21, 2008
We had some spare time during our visit to central London, so we stopped by the Tate Modern museum. The works inside were quite interesting and the variety pretty good as far as styles of modern art. Some famous artists were represented, like Picasso and Rotheko, but even ones you've never heard of are always worth a look. My favorite was this lady who had collected a ton of different, random silver pieces (trophies, serving utensils, a trumpet, etc), had them run over with a steam roller, and then hung them from the ceiling to fill a whole room! haha!

But the thing you can't beat - the price! Most of the exhibits are absolutely free. I believe there's a charge for some, but we spent a good deal of time with the free stuff so there was really no need to go wandering off to other things. There's also a cafe there, but we didn't stop it, though it smelled pretty good.

All and all, I'd recommend a stop-over if you're in the area.

**EDIT** I returned to this museum again and gave it another star! After visiting a floor I hadn't seen on my first visit (5th). I really enjoyed this floor and after having been in London for over a month and seeing what else there is to see, I definitely think this is an above average attraction.
CFD CFD
Mar 08, 2007
I didnt like Tate Modern that much.. Its just alot of weirds stuff standing in different parts of the Museum. Its a plus for the great view from the 7.th floor where you can get some greats shots (if youre lucky its get dark so you can get some nice shots at the floodlighted jubilee Bridge).

But other people love this place so perhaps im only a littlebit to "straith forward" and to little "out of the box" to understand the art?

This was weird.. To weird for me. But its free :)

Not allowed to take any pictures (probably beacause the flash causes damage to the paintings). But in the Turbine Hall its allowed to take as many pictures as you want
sarahelaine sarahela…
Tate Modern Apr 17, 2006
Tate Modern is one of the UK's best art galleries. It specialises in modern, twentieth century and contemporary art, although there are sometimes a couple of Monets around.

Tate is arranged thematically, rather than by artist, country or era. There are two floors of permanent collection, which are rehung from time to time, generally one special exhibition, and usually an enormous installation in the TUrbine Hall.

The permanent collection includes some of the Tate's most famous works, in sculpture, apinting and other media. A copy of The Kiss, some Moneys and a huge Rothka are amongst the usual highlights. The galleries are spacious, and well lit; there are great views of the Thames, St Paul's Cathedral, and all the miserable people staring out of the window because their partners have dragged them to the gallery! Thinkk of it as a sort of creche...

The special exhibitions are the only thing which oficially charges for admoission, although I think that the three pound donation you're asked for on entry is a fair request if you aren't going to pay for one of the exhibitions. They have included some great artists, although of course it's variable what they put on. Entrance varies, but tends to be less than a tenner.

The Turbine hall houses large installations, often custom commissioned for the spacfe. It is absolutely huge. Recent works include the one where the artist had set up slides from the fourth floor of the buidling, and more serious works like Shibboleth, which was a huge crack down the centre of the exhibition to symbolise... something. I don't have to get something to enjoy it! On some weekends there are special events. I've seen a Miro puppet show and some skateboarders here.

There is also a cafe. Disabled access shouldn't be aproblem, although obviously there are the selfish people with audio tours who won't get out of the way, and I have seen people in wheelchairs come pretty close to running people over because of that! There are interactive displays, which keep kids and partners occupied. It's also worth it just for the building - a huge, converted power station.

The Tate is easily accessible on the bus network, but if I was getting the tube I'd get out North of the River and cross the Millenium bridge (nowhere near as much fun since they un-wobbled it!).

More info on www.tate.org.uk, I think, or via google if I'm wrong.
darlingwish says:
oh i love this place!!! enjoyed looking at the artworks a lot!
Posted on: May 12, 2008
sarahelaine says:
yeah - i saw the boxes too! rachel whiteread I think. and no, i don't know how they made the crack!
Posted on: Apr 25, 2008
danny291 says:
i LOVE the tate modern, when i went last they had all the white boxes in the huge room stacked high, i would have liked to have seen all the slides last year though.
Posted on: Apr 25, 2008
Eric Eric
Apr 19, 2006
The Tate Modern rocks! Definitely one of my favorite museums in London. The building is very unique and has a distinctly industrial feel. This is no mistake, as it used to be a power plant. A lot of the artwork is quite unique (like the "Lobster Telephone" by Salvador Dali). Even though I don't know much about modern art, it was still a great experience.
Eric says:
Yep, they still had that when I was there. Was pretty weird!
Posted on: May 02, 2006
gloriousgentry says:
I loved the Tate Modern when I was in London! Do they still have the video exhibit where the people do the wierd ocd type things and the lady with the big metal stuff on her neck while smoking a cigarette?
Posted on: May 01, 2006
cari cari
Apr 24, 2005
The Tate is probably one of my favorite museums ever. Actually, that's not really fair, because I really like all museums. OK, scratch that. But it's still a great museum.The first selling point is that, like most English museums, it's 100% free. You can't get cheaper than free.Second, it's got a huge collection. There's a ton of paintings, but there's sculpture and video, too. They have some huge names and the gallery itself is really clean and nice. The layout is really simple, which is good for those of us who are navigationally-impaired (me).I went there multiple times during my year in England, and I had a different experience every time. The exhibits change often enough to make a repeat trip worthwhile. In short, Tate = free modern art in downtown London. Cheaper than Saatchi, and bigger too.
a sound exhibit. i know, it makes …
a rad sculpture.
londonbella londonbe…
Modern Art in Every Form May 14, 2003
The Tate Modern is a very interesting art museum, to say the least. I am an artist myself, and I tend to gravitate more towards the impressionistic and traditional art, so this exhibit was a bit out there for me. But in my opinion, in order to fully appreciate art, you need to view and study every kind.

Now I did not agree that everything in there was a masterful work of art (i.e. if a Kindergardner can paint a canvas plain blue and hang it on a wall, I have issues...) Nevertheless, it is definitely a sight to see.

I know the exhibits have changed dramatically since I was there 6 years ago, but it doesn't change the fact that they will always have something truly OUTstanding or OUTofthisworld if I may.

Some exhibits while I was there:

**Cruel + Tender: The real in the twentieth century photograh

**Max Beckmann

**Paul McCarthy

those are a few

Notes from the visit:

**Andre Fougeron (1913-1999), born and worked in France

"Return from the Market" - 1953 oil on canvas

Fougeron was the leading artist associated with the French Communist party in the early 1950s. This is a portrait of his wife. By surrounding her with the details of their own modest domestic interior - the loaf of vegetables, the standard tiling and utilitarian sink - he indicates a simple life of material struggle. And by applying the precision of his 'new French realism' to his own family and home, Fougeron emphasizes his role as artist of the people.
Tate Modern