Tarsier conservation centre

Canapnapan, Bohol, Philippines

Tarsier conservation centre Bohol Reviews

joehobo joehobo
Chamber of secrets Jan 28, 2014
Philippines had been enthralling me every moment and each monument and site I had visited had its own peculiar beauty etched in it.While making my travel plans around Bohol and Taglibaran I made sure I had to see the Tarsier sanctuary at Bohol.Tarsiers are claimed to be one of the or the second smallest primate in the world.I had seen pictures of these mammals in the net and I also learnt that they feed on insects.I had a feeling that being nocturnal they could be possibly be hiding or sleeping during the day.

On reaching the Tarsier sanctuary and getting our tickets what surprised me was that these tickets were printed postcards with pictures of the Tarsier which could be sent to friends or even collected as a souvenir.That was a good idea and I intend to follow this if at all I get to do anything which requires a ticket.

Once entering the sanctuary we climbed some winding steps up hill through thick vegetation and trees.A few thatched roofs set among trees and bush were home to these wonderful tiny creatures.These mammals were certainly not pretty but if you looked closely their large eyes are very powerful and convey a lot of emotion.They had large ears too and they clung with their paws which resembled our fingers and toes but stubbed at the tip hugging themselves to a branch with enough cover around them with their eyes closed most of the time.I was told that they could turn their heads one hundred and eighty degrees but did not notice them doing that even though I had walked three hundred and sixty degrees all around them.It was only sometimes that they gazed at you and came out of hiding to get a better look of you watching them.They were shy but I was told that they are very active and noisy at night,quite the opposite to the innocent looking primates they posed to be.Walking around the sanctuary and looking for these mammals under the thatched roofs was quite an exercise.They reminded me of the famous character "Dobby" in the book and film Harry potter and Chamber of secrets.The sanctuary trail is only a few hundred meters of winding steps up and down the hill ending with a row of inexpensive souvenir shops as well as a refreshment stall.The rest room was small but clean.I bought a few key chains and also drank a tender coconut juice.

The sanctuary was said to be the effort of one philanthropist which is commendable.However I was not very happy about not seeing the Tarsiers making a lot of noise,wildly jumping around doing what they wanted and what they liked to do in their natural habitat.But for that I think the sanctuary has to be kept open at night like the zoo in Singapore.

Coming out of the sanctuary the Tarsier and the character Dobby in Harry potter kept coming back and I felt that this place was one another "Chamber of secrets" in this wonderful country "Philippines".
jendara says:
Congrats on your featured review:)
Well done my friend!!!!
Posted on: Feb 04, 2014
rheagirl says:
Congrats Martin! Thank you for reviewing one of the attractions in my country. :D yeah i agree, i can see dobby in a tarsier. :))
Posted on: Feb 03, 2014
Travel2014 says:
Congrats on your review being featured!
Posted on: Feb 03, 2014