Tarsier Conservation Center and Chocolate Hills

Bohol, Philippines

Tarsier Conservation Center and Chocolate Hills Bohol Reviews

bhush2006 bhush2006
Cute Tarsiers of Bohol and the Chocolate Hills. Mar 23, 2015
Few years ago when browsing internet a photo of alien looking creature caught my attention. It was really tiny with enormous beady eyes. When I searched more information about it, I found that it was a creature known as "The Philippine Tarsier" - world’s smallest primate. An irrational love with this small primate made me decide to visit Philippines.

As I landed on pier of BOHOL, many tuktuk drivers approached me. I chose one of them who offered me 900 PHP for the day trip to all famous destinations. First I decided to visit The Tarsier Conservation Centre.

This primate is Endemic to Bohol, parts of the Visayas and Mindanao. This is mainly a social animal which live in groups. They sleep mostly during the day. They have only one baby per year. Years of poaching posed a serious threat to population of these animals and at one point the numbers were precariously low so it was classified as endangered. A systematic effort by Philippines government has resulted in growth of their population. Now it has become one of the biggest tourist draws to Bohol.

A guide at the conservation center accompanied me to the wild area in search of those little beauties. During my trip to this area, I could manage to see about 5 tarsiers in the wild. Most of them were sleeping but as we approached them in silence, they opened there eyes wide open and stared at us. Since it was not good to disturb them while sleeping, we immediately clicked just few photos and left them alone.

After a short visit to the conservation area I proceeded to Chocolate Hills - one of the major tourist attractions of Bohol.

The Chocolate Hills are a geological formation which looks like mounds of a symmetrical conical shape. There are about 1268 such hillocks (the claims range from 1200 to 1700) spread over an area of more than 50 square kilometers. They are covered with grass which at the end of the dry season, turns chocolate brown - hence the name Chocolate Hills.

The time when I visited there, they were more of a green color rather than brown.

I spent a good time there taking pictures and admiring beauty of those magnificent hills.

A visit to Bohol was really a delight to the senses. The refreshing air of forested landscapes makes you just want to relax and breathe in all the beauty that surrounds you. The white sandy beaches of Panglao island with pristine blue waters that are perfect for swimming and snorkeling added more charm to the trip. Bohol has everything for a perfect getaway!
bhush2006 says:
Thanks Sue for smile and comment.
Posted on: Mar 28, 2015
mountaingirl says:
Chocolate Hill ... I love the name :)
Posted on: Mar 28, 2015
bhush2006 says:
Yes. Its really a nice place. I managed to stay at Bohol Butterfly Farm for one night. It was an interesting experience.
Posted on: Mar 23, 2015