Taqueria Mexico Lindo

Av. Ruiz 113, Ensenada, Mexico

Taqueria Mexico Lindo Ensenada Reviews

moviegal226 moviegal…
Clean and Cheap Jan 12, 2015
I've been, ahem, "burned" in Mexico before from eating not-so-legit local food so I am super wary of eating at some establishments without checking online reviews first. Luckily I had a nice data plan and read all these good reviews. Armed with the confidence that I wouldn't be "paying" for this meal later, I sauntered up to the bar and ordered a plate full of tacos.

Did this place serve the best tacos I've ever eaten? No, but wow, these things were good and cheap! We had about 6 different tacos (the steak and pork were by far the best; the fish had a super thick and not too tasty batter), a bottle of Modelo beer and a can of soda. The total price for this feast? Around $14 U.S.! The food is freshly prepared right in front of you in an open kitchen and I loved that I could keep my eye on things. Don't be put off if there aren't any open seats, just wait and some will open up. Sit at the bar that surrounds the cooking area. It's fun to watch and talk with the cooks and other patrons.

The employees that deal directly with customers speak really good English in addition to Spanish and were happy to (patiently) suffer through my attempts at practicing Spanish with them! Best of all, they take U.S. dollars, saving you the headache of fumbling with pesos. This place is easy, fast and cheap.

You can choose your tacos from the big menu board. Most tacos run about $1.50 each. Not a bad deal when you consider this stuff is made fresh to order. I had to wait 20 minutes for my fish taco because the cook had to run down to the fish market to buy more fish. I was hoping that meant I would love the taco but it was just okay. Way too much breading (the fish tacos in Ensenada are traditionally fried) and the batter wasn't to my taste. But try one anyway (when in Rome....)

You can get either a flour or corn tortilla (soft corn, no crunchy corn shells here), and both are very tasty. Each taco comes individually wrapped in paper, which helps in holding all the delicious stuffing in. On the counter you'll see cilantro, onions, limes and an assortment of salsas for customizing your tacos. All of these accompaniments are served "family style" so you'll be asking your neighbors to pass the goods.

I can assure you with confidence that you won't get sick if you eat here. This is important in Mexico. I ate all different tacos, used the salsas and fresh limes, and I have had zero issues (and this is 3 days after my visit). I would caution you to ONLY drink bottled or canned drinks, however (this includes water), and insist that the bottle or can be opened in front of you.

Beware that you WILL be approached by wandering musicians, shoe shiners and lots of little kids begging for money. If you can't handle that sort of thing, one: why the heck are you in Mexico in the first place and two: it might be best not to eat here. Usually a firm "no gracias" will shoo them away but some are pretty persistent. A lot of the little kids will ask for a taco or a can of soda. We bought a skinny little kid a soda and the lady next to us got him a taco. It's sad to witness so much poverty but at least I felt like I did something good instead of giving them some coins that would go who knows where. So pay it forward and do a good deed.

Check Ensenada Hotel Deals