Taqueria Los Ocampo

Taqueria Los Ocampo - 'meat' selection
Taqueria Los Ocampo - taco - corn mushroom
Taqueria Los Ocampo - in a former Bakers Square
Taqueria Los Ocampo - common dinner items
Taqueria Los Ocampo - Tacos - pumpkin flower (left), chipotle chicken (right)
Taqueria Los Ocampo - sincronizada with Mexican (spicy) chicken
Taqueria Los Ocampo - seating area

Taqueria Los Ocampo Saint Paul Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Authenic Mexican Food Mar 02, 2011
Taqueria Los Ocampo is touted as the most authenic Mexican food in Minnesota. They currently have 5 locations in the Twin Cities, with this location just open.

This restaurant was opened in an old Bakers Square building and contained very slight remodeling inside. The seating area was large with plenty of tables and a few booths. There were even some couches to sit on in the waiting area. There was also a small bar. A few tvs graced the walls (it seems you can't find a restaurant with out televisions now). The room was decorated with Mexican artwork and a bunch of color paper cutouts with the restaurant name. They were quite impressive actually - they looked like the snowflakes children make in winter.

The menu was also very impressive with many dishes I had never heard of - I will assume they are authenic. Most dishes came with your choice of meat. There were 15 choices of meat and 5 choices of vegetarian fillings. Some meals came with rice and beans, others it was an optional side. I wanted to try the Sincronizadas, because they looked good, but someone else ordered that I wanted variety. They looked like quesadillas and were indeed very good.

I wanted to try some different "meat" options, so I got 3 tacos all with different fillings - two with unknown "meat". I got a chipotle chicken, corn mushroom and pumpkin flower. I had never heard of those last two but was feeling adventurous. The waiter said the corn mushroom was really good - it was a fungus that grows on corn...and it was black...but it was really good so I should try it. So I did. And it was indeed black...it looked like a pile of black poo and didn't taste much better. It was a really odd flavor, almost sweet, or anise, or dark dark chocolate, or something. I've never had anything that tastes like it before and hope I never will. I ate two bites and decided that was enough of that. Then the pumpkin flower I misread as flour and figured it was a paste like refried beans. Nope - it was literally flowers. I'm not kidding. I added some chicken to make that one taste a bit better. But I liked the corn tortillas they came on. The tacos didn't come with lettuce, tomato or cheese, so I ordered a side of cheese. And a Boing Mango bottled mango juice drink (yum!)

But everyone else's (normal) food was really good. The sincronizada and sopas were good. And the chips and salsa were excellent. It was a green salsa with no tomatoes and not very spicy. I do want to try it again- just not odd tacos. I will definitely come back.

The only downside here, aside from the odd tacos, was the slow service. Granted this restaurant has only been open about 1 week, but it took a long time to order food after we got our drinks. And it seemed to take a long time to get the food. But the waiter was very friendly and was quick to come clean up a glass of water we knocked over. And prices are very reasonable.
Tacos - pumpkin flower (left), chi…
sincronizada with Mexican (spicy) …
taco - corn mushroom