Taprobane

Sri Lanka

Taprobane Reviews

kukuruyu kukuruyu
Spider House Nov 18, 2010
"Shall I ever forget that morning in September, when, quite by chance I first saw Weligama Bay, and in the centre of it the red granite rock, covered with palms and jungle scrub, rising from the Indian Ocean: an emerald in a setting of pink coral. I swam across the narrow strait, scrambled over rocks and briers, and reached the top of the rock. The view from here was admirable: below me was the Bay outspreading its long arms towards the ocean; until they were lost in the haze of the far distance; the coral reef, sparkling with the diamonds of the spray; the sea, turquoise blue, streaked with amethyst-purple. Beyond, far beyond, the bare horizon; there was nothing between me and the South Pole." (taken from: The Gardens of Taprobane -Count de Mauny)

Once more Sri Lanka has given me some unbelievable feeling, It's wonderful how people can make their fantasy world comes true. Taprobane has the same meaning with Indonesia, and also refer to Sri lanka itself.

There's a long history of this small private island, nowadays we can also enjoy the island by renting it.

I arrived at Weligama Bay in the afternoon so the tide was already high. There is an island with small white gate framed with white bougenville and a jungle of palm trees. No matter what, we have to cross over the strait by our own feet to eat our lunch there which costs $40USD/person..The tide reach over my hips and I didn't bring any spare clothes, luckily The staff gave us towels after we reach the gate.

A dog , named Meti, welcoming and lead us to step higher and higher to the top of the island where the Spider House it is.

The Spider House was built by Count de Mauny. The shape of the house is chosen to be octagonal shape because the island surrounded by amazing view from all direction. I was amazed by the layout of the building,the old timber structure of the roof, the ceiling finishing & the numbers of opening from all direction to accomodate cross ventilation. Not every side have veranda, but some of it have due to the function of the room itself. I also discover the structure of the building is the same structure for the typical roman church,and it has the flying butress part to transfer the load of the roof span ( I can see it from the side walk that each side of octagonal shape is separated by wall).

We had our lunch under Delonix regia tree, the branch is very long and low ..but still.. no headroom issue. The food was great, the weather was so friendly. A lot of animal is found here. Based on the history, the island used to be a place where the native dump the cobra-snake (though we never find it). The crow always accompany us from weligama beach, and sometime in the morning we can see the dolphin..There is nothing between here and South Pole.
at weligama bay overlooking to an …
taprobane gate