Tapas Brerinn

Tapas Brerinn - Monkfish

Tapas Brerinn Reykjavik Reviews

e_w_richardson e_w_rich…
Six Courses in Heaven Aug 22, 2012
GO HERE! Now as you're checking to find directions let me tell you why. This restaurant is the best of both worlds when it comes to locals and tourists. It was hidden away from the main street so not many people wander in, and when our waiter asked us how we found it he was surprised when we told him we saw the restaurant's menu placard out front. He said that mostly locals come in, which seemed pretty accurate because there was a lot of Icelandic being spoken and not much else. Just imagine walking down into the cellar and finding a barely lit bar full of all your friends and family. That is the best way to explain walking into the restaurant.

Back to the menu however. My wife and I along with two other companions we had met on a hiking tour had decided to go here because it had a fairly expensive, yet fairly exquisite six course "traditional Icelandic" meal. In a place like Reykjavik, that can mean a lot of different things but this was a six part harmony of seafood and some local delicacies. We were served puffin, sea trout, Icelandic lobster, monkfish, minke whale, and lamb. Some locals will tell you that minke whale isn't traditional but it is something for the adventurous eater who enjoys eating outlandish animals. I'm not going to tell you how everything tasted because within our own party of four we had quite a spirited conversation over what our favorites were. Just keep in mind it is a wonderful deal (although it was pretty expensive) but it did also include a shot and a dessert so it may not have been as outlandish compared to other restaurants.
Sea Trout
Icelandic Lobster
ajdennis1980 ajdennis…
Iclandic Tapas Feb 25, 2010
From the outside this looks like a Spanish restaurant, nothing wrong with that but I like to sample local food when I travel. But don't be tricked as if you take time to go and read the menu outside the door you will see this is a tapas place but with a great twist!

The decor is as you would expect from the outside - Spanish, all very strange when outside it has been snowing for the last 2 days, not stop!

The staff are friendly and speak excellent English.

There is an impressive choice and our waitress suggested a set meal as she could see we were struggling to make a decision. I went for the Icelandic Feast (5400isk) and Catherine opted for the Traveller (5900isk).

Both came with an aperitif, the Traveller a slightly more sophisticated Cava while the Icelandic feast started with a shot of Brennivín, also known as Black Death and I can see why, it was horrible!

The food was brought as it was ready, first up Smoked Puffin with blueberry "Brennivín" sauce for me and Foie gras with grilled bread Gras with grilled bread for Catherine, it was so good and just before you finish cue the next dishes.

Fillet of beef on a spear, Duck Grande Marnier, Bacon wrapped scallops and dates, Lobster tail baked in garlic and a Baked potato with salad and aioli were for the Traveller and my feast consisted of Icelandic sea-trout with peppers-salsa, more Lobster tails baked in garlic, Pan-fried monkfish with lobster sauce, Grilled Icelandic lamb Samfaina, and Minke Whale with cranberry-sauce.

We both finished with Chocolate cake with berry compote and whipped cream, coffee and a glass of port :)

This was truly a fantastic meal and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Iceland.

Check Reykjavik Hotel Deals