28 NE 28th Avenue, Portland, OR, USA
www.tapalaya.com - (503) 232-6652

Tapalaya Portland Reviews

Gabby27 Gabby27
Tapalaya: New Orleans style small plates! Feb 18, 2010
Being from New Orleans I knew I was in for an experience: either authentic and great or completely wrong and disappointing. Tapalaya did not disappoint! The place was decked out in it's finest fleur de lit fashion complete with beads and the oh-so-overdone "Blue Dog" artwork by Rodriguez. I still don't know how this local NOLA artist got famous off this one.

The fried chicken was most definitely the best friend chicken (served with a warm pecan syrup) I've ever tasted! The Muffaletta probably needs the most work. It was still a nice treat but not what I think of when I think of the ones served in New Orleans. The small plate style was affordable and fun! There aren't many social events that bring people together quite like food and music...New Orleans being a place that is furnished perfectly for both. I would criticize that the restaurant should play music made my local Big Easy artists. I was sad to not hear jazz and satisfy my homesickness with a little local tunage! Although now looking at their website it seems they have live music on Thursdays! Great! Wednesdays they encourage bike riders (Portland is so green) by offering extended happy hours to those arriving on 2 wheels!

Other small plates we ordered: gumbo (OK), fried chicken (AMAZING), muffalettas (OK), collard greens (GOOD), corn bread (AMAZING, we got 2 of these!)...I know there was much more with the 3 of us eating. We were pleasantly plump by the end of the meal...topped it off with the ice cream sampler that includes bacon ice cream, yes you read that right! Don't forget the buttercream and a third flavor that escapes me now. The buttercream was delicious...and I'll tell you what, the bacon was surprisingly not terrible and actually decent when paired with the buttercream flavor! The bread pudding was pretty good also.

I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND this restaurant to anyone traveling to or living in Portland. If you want a well done New Orleans style dining experience Tapalay can deliver. Some of their dishes were a little high in vinegar flavor...but the restaurant is new...so perhaps if you leave your comments (Please, experienced New Orleans diner's only!) they can work on it.

Check Portland Hotel Deals