25 Langelandsvegen, Alesund, Norway
70 14 66 77

Tante Bruun Alesund Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
A charming place to have lunch Nov 01, 2010
Tante Bruun is a new café and it was recommended to me by a friend of mine who lives in Ålesund. When she said that it was located in a shopping mall my first thought was: ”No, don´t like it! ”. I was a bit curious though, so I stopped by to check it out. The mall is located in the middle of town and a part of it is located in the old buildings from the beginning of the 19th century. Not a typical mall.

Tante Bruun means Auntie Brown. It is not the name of the owner. Don´t know if it is taken from the fairytale Auntie Green, Auntie Brown and Auntie Violet by Elsa Beskow. The location of Tante Bruun looks like an old 18th century apartment. The four rooms had high ceilings with stuccos, chandeliers and a mix of old and new furnitures. The walls were covered in a combination of old classical wall paper and new colourful once. On the walls were old black and white family photos.

Tante Bruun serves typical café food. They have a nice variety of sandwiches on different kind of bread, salads, soups, pastries and home made chocolate. A good variety of coffee and tea drinks (hot and cold), coffee shakes, fruit shakes as well as soft drinks are served. You order and pay by the counter.

I had a wonderful foccacia served on a flowery plate. The food is prised a bit under the average, but my coffee moccha chili was a bit too much. At USD 8,50 it´s the priciest coffee I have ever had.

Tante Bruun is a combined shop and café. They sell chocolate, gift items, decoration things and some clothing.

The only negative thing I can say about this place is that the kitchen closes at 3:30 pm. I was planning to have dinner in a different place, but it was closed. I was in a rush and needed a place where I could get food quickly, so I went back to Tante Bruun. It was 4 pm. Must say I was surpirsed that the kitchen was closed since they are open until 8 pm. After the kitchen closes there is no hot food and no new sandwiches made. What they sell is what is left in the counter when the kitchen closes!

I can recommend Tante Bruuns for lunch, just be there before the kitchen closes. The food was delisious, the atmosphere good and the staff super friendly. In the photos the place looks empty, but that is only because I arrived early, before lunchtime. By the time I had ordered, got my sandwiches and coffee, the place was filling up.
nyprne says:
I'll save my pennies for their coffee.
Posted on: Nov 06, 2010
sarahsan says:
Hi Tee, yes you are right! "Tante" is Norwegian and means "aunt" in English! Norwegian is a Germanic language so it's not so strange that we have some words in common.
Posted on: Nov 02, 2010
sarahsan says:
So sorry Keith, no burgers!
Posted on: Nov 02, 2010