Tamarai

02 4619910

Tamarai Cairo Reviews

Mo-Sam Mo-Sam
Expensive,elite night outing Jun 22, 2011
It is an excellent outing,elite community,wonderful music and food,in the heart of cairo,across the nile, weekends are gorgious,reservation is mandatory ,events and international djs ,indoors and outdoors
Rokerij Rokerij
Reservation? What Reservation? Oct 22, 2009
Arriving in Cairo at 4am our options were limited, so we decided to sit on our massive hotel room balcony and have a beer before hitting bed. We knew the plan for the next day, it was simple. We planned on getting up and walking down the Nile paths to Zamalek for lunch on a moored boat. Then we would head back to our hotel and visit the pool and have a nap where we could get over the jet lag. That night would be our official kick off to Egypt and I spent a great deal of time trying to make it perfect so that my wife was surprised and impressed.

So the plans I made was to go to Tamarai restaurant. A high end, modern restaurant that serves amazing drinks and food that was rated some of the best in Egypt.

Two months leading up to this trip I was in regular contact with the head manager of the restaurant and confirmed our reservation as well as made sure she reserved the best patio seat in the place over looking the Nile. All plans were made for 7pm. The manager helping me was very helpful and polite so I wasn't worried at all.

We arrived at 7pm and couldn't find the entrance. The hotel security didn't even know it existed which was very weird. Eventually a young kid pointed a security guy who helped us to the entrance which was still locked with their hours being to open at 9pm that night. The security took us through a back entrance because he believed the main entrance was under construction and that explained why it was closed. We went along with him.

We got there and the place was definitely closed. Staff were just arriving, most in street clothes and the place was empty. They were very accommodating though and were quick to welcome us and give us a seat. Unfortunately, it wasn't the seat I had reserved. I asked to go to the proper seat, but they said "no" despite the place being completely empty and having actually reserved it. I wasn't going to complain though, only a minor detail.

We ordered a couple of drinks which were expensive for even Las Vegas at $20 CAD each, but they were delicious. While we were having these drinks the servers were running around setting tables and doing their setup. I was really looking for the atmosphere of a lively place, but since they were closed and empty that wasn't there.

It wasn't until we tried ordering our appetizers that we realized this was putting a damper on our evening. The kitchen wasn't prepared yet and appetizers would have been a 45 minute wait. We paid our tab and left. We had a great meal at Al Mawal on the Blue Nile Cruiser and decided to go back there. It was packed with Egyptians watching the soccer match and we had a great seat right next to the water. The food was delicious and we were glad we left Tamarai. I was disappointed that all of my effort to make the evening special was a lost cause. Luckily Al Mawal turned it around for us.

Check Cairo Hotel Deals