Taksim Square

(0212) 292 6440

Taksim Square Istanbul Reviews

EmEm EmEm
Maksem May 31, 2017
Taksim Meydanı( square) is at the end of Istiklal Street. The square was the water distribution center of Istanbul in the past and so it took the name Taksim( Maksem). The name means distribution in Turkish. When the settlement increased on the shores of Bosphorus in the period of 1703- 1730, during the reign of Sultan Ahmet III, it brought problemms of water supply. To solve this problem development activities were only iniciated until 1730, when Sultan Mahmut I passed to throne. The undertakings were completed in 1731 as Taksim Water Plants. With some additions and corrections the plant has taken its final shape in 1839. The Maksem has an octagonal coarse stone body and a pyramidal octagonal roof.

Last two lines of the inscription located at the entrance doorof themaksem provide the building's historic 1145/ 1732 with numerogical account. The front, where light round- arched door is located is covered with white marble to the level of the first floor as the facede where Sultan Mahmut I Fountain is located at the right of the door with no inscription. Then, in front where the door is located, there are an arched window above the door and two bird mansions designed with traditional Turkish architecture lines sitting on tiny consoles on either side of this window. Sultan Mahmut I Foutain at the front at the right of the Maksem door has fountain style of that era. A further fountain is located on the side Maksem facing to the Taksim street.

The interior of two story building is octagonal. At the entrance, on the left side, the left end of the scene climbed with three steps, has entered into a wall and is covered with white marble. The walls and the dome of maksem are decorated with traditional Turkish embroidery. The back of the flow meassuring crate is covered with marble plates. The marble on the gutters is in the style of 18th century decorations. On the right side of gutters to the entrance, there is an inscription about the water allocated to Algerian Gazi Hasan Pasha. One belonging to Yusuf Pasha the Grand Vizier is located on the other side of the gutters.

It is one of the busiest places in the city, also by night.
Cho says:
I love city/town squares and always make it a point to go and sit in one of them whenever I'm traveling in European or Latin American countries. Unfortunately, they don't exist here in the USA.
Posted on: May 13, 2017

Related Travel Blogs About Taksim Square

And Then There Were Two
The morning started like usual: Wake up sticky and grimy from the previous night's sleep in the non air conditioned hostel room, eat breakfast, then take a cold shower before starting the day. We wal…Taksim Square. Istanbul, with its crowded streets and 13 million or so residents, is a very clean city. Our walk…
Istanbul... ain't no trip to Cleveland.
That title will only mean something if your a big fan of dry humor and off the beat Wilson brother films like Bottle Rocket. And wow that is totally off the subject of this entire trip :)) I hi…Istanbul you don't need to worry about. As far as I know all bus companies provide transportation by van to the Taksim Square
Taksim Square
Today we slept in, had a late breakfast, and slept some more. I guess we had overdone it the day before. Eventually we made it out of the hotel and we went out to explore Taksim square. There is… Today we slept in, had a late breakfast, and slept some more. I guess we had overdone it the…

Check Istanbul Hotel Deals