Taking taxis in Prague, be careful to do so

Prague, Czech Republic

Taking taxis in Prague, be careful to do so Reviews

hujera hujera
Taxis in Prague, how to avoid to get overcharged! Jan 07, 2013
I am sorry to write this review about a such beautiful city, which is Prague.

This problem has been discussed for many years (along with numerous thieves, who give worthless banknotes to those changing in the streets - never do so in Prague - you can be really sorry as this is illegal).

Unfortunately the authorities haven't found any effective way, how to combat these disgraceful taxi drivers, who try to improve their living standards by cheating and overcharging foreign visitors of Prague.

However, there are ways, how to save your money and not to support the taxi driver mafia.

At the airport you can find boards recommending the companies, which should be reliable for travelling to the city centre. I believe, this is a good tip.

If you are in the city centre, try not to take a taxi in the street, but to call operators of officially licensed taxi companies. They are fine, they speak English and they will tell you even approximately, how much the fare from a point A to a point B will be.

I wish you a nice stay in Prague, and if this review will help you, I will be pleased the most.
hujera says:
Hi, tinatreasure84.

If you like Prague or Budapest, I think, it would be a pity to miss the cities, even if you read my review about taxis.

I consider both cities generally safe. Of course, you need to be vigilant - the same as visiting other cities or destinations.

However Prague is one of the most visited cities (I read even top 10 or 15 - cannot exactly remember) in Europe.

Well, it is up to your discretion to decide, where to go. I wouldn't be scared.
Posted on: Aug 02, 2014
tinatreasure84 says:

Thanks for this article/advice you've written. My husband and I are thinking of travelling there later this year but it seems that we might have to give it a miss…It's so worrying that it seems that tourist don't even feel safe going to the police for advice. Most of the articles that I have read 'bout Prague/Budapest are the scams that openly exists in the train stations. How can the tourists able to identify which are the legit railway staff/inspectors. What's wrong with giving assistance to tourists without being victimised of the scams in operation. I've seen lots of beautiful attractions in your country advertised in tourism magazines but it feels so unsafe and scary...
Posted on: Aug 01, 2014
hujera says:
You are quite right. AAA, City Taxi or Profi Taxi used to be reliable, when taking a taxi around Prague. However, the best is calling the operators and have it brought to a place, where you want to start your journey.

The public transport is OK too. Prague has got quite a good network of the integrated service. A basic ticket is valid for trams, buses, underground, trains and the funicular.

Pickpockets are about the same as in the other cities - to be vigilant in the city centre is recommended. Otherwise practically no risks by using the means of trasport...

Posted on: Oct 18, 2013