Taking a bus in Bogota

Bogota, Colombia

Taking a bus in Bogota Reviews

deadiaz1 deadiaz1
Taking a bus in Bogota Jul 21, 2011
Hi , this is for you to know useful things when you take a bus in Bogota, First of all and before taking the bus, is important you have the exact amount of money for the ride which is $1.400 COP this is not compulsory but It will save you time, most of the times the bus driver is really busy obviously driving so If you give them the exact ride fare is better this way you won't have to stand there waiting for the change, another thing is knowing your stop, is important to take a look If youre going the right way,I reccomend you go with someone who knows the city but If you have to go by yourself or you want to experience the local transport, go on!

Try to press the red stop button one block before your stop ,as in Bogota our transport is so informal , usually the bus driver won't stop when you press the button inmediately, they will continue one block further so, this this important,we all know that Bogota is not the safest city on the world so in the bus always look after your things, Is really reccomendable that you, for example dont take your camera, mobile or your money out, somethimes there are bad people around so be aware of that, dont put valuable things in your pockets, Is better if you have a bag always infront of you .

Occasionally you will see, mostly in the rush hours that all the buses or most of them are really full and people is standing, so If you really need to take that full bus, do it but, be carefull and again always keep an eye on your stuff.

Somethimes some "musicians" and people will take the bus and sing or maybe they will try to sell things,like CDs or pencils etc, or maybe they will say out loud some sad story so people feel sorry for them and gives them money, in this case people choose If give or not, If Bogotans want to give, they will give a coin arround $200 or $500,maybe more, this is really normal for us but Im sure for a lot of people will be strange, anyway you choose If you want to give, recibe something or not, you're not rude If you don't do it =) this are the main things I would say but If I can remember more I'll write them down ;) Have nice and safe journeys!!
inside a bus
typical bus
full bus :S

Related Travel Blogs About Taking a bus in Bogota

From Merida Onward to Colombia
Leaving Merida early in the morning I caught a mini-bus for San Cristobal a five hour ride through some winding mountain roads. A quick change of mini-buses later and I was on yet another even smal…bus ride to Bogota was a long one, taking about 17 hours as our bus took the back road…
Manizales night one
My day began at 7am when I was wide awake thanks to the altitude in Bogota.  It always gets me the first few days in any city over 1500 meters, I guess because I live at sea level. Anyway, I at…bus trip from Bogota to Manizales takes up to 8 hours.  One must go up and down mountains…
Last travel day of the trip.
Hello all, I woke up at about 8am today, and kept thinking about that long bus trip to Medellin.  I heard it was a eight hour bus with some great mountain scenery, and I decided to take a …take busses and such in the daytime. I checked out of the hotel and grabbed a taxi to the bus station.  I like the bus system in Bogota

Check Bogota Hotel Deals