Taipei Cheeky House - Taipei Main Station Branch

Check Taipei Hotel Deals

Taipei Cheeky House - Taipei Main Station Branch Reviews

seahlk seahlk
Good if you have no other choice Oct 03, 2014
This was a last minute booking as I had a change in my training location. I got a bed in a 4-bed female dorm. Even though I arrived early in the morning, I checked in only after my training, which is around late afternoon.

It can be tricky to find this hostel, even though they do provide you with pictures on locating the main building. The hostel's main building double up as a bubble tea shop. If you are sharp-eyed enough, and has a general good sense of direction, the information on their website is good enough for you to locate the main building.

Yes, I mentioned main building. This is because you can be allocated to a second building, which some 500-600m away from the main building. Not that the distance is an issue, since my stay at hostel Rudolph operates the same way, but I find the security is seriously lacking. Firstly, you are given a code to enter into the building, and that is it. There is no night change of code or anything. Once you enter into the building, you need to take off your shoes and change into slippers, and walked the narrow staircase down to the basement for the room. The staircase is really narrow, so if you are carry large luggage, you can leave them at the front counter, where security can once again be compromised.

The room was the smallest I have ever been to. It basically cramps 2 bunk beds into a room the size of a single room I stayed in in New Zealand. Yes, I was told there will be no window, but not the moulds I see on the ceiling. The staff had allocated a bed to me, and warned that I cannot change the bed, and to my surprise, the staff changed my bed once we reached the room. Not that the lower bunk was occupied or what, but I dont like the mould that I will be facing on the ceiling at the upper bunk.

There is no keys to your room, so anyone can just come in, and that I find is a major security lapse. Yes, there are lockers for rental at the public area. The shower and toilet areas are also open access, to both gender. Toilet has a common wash basin area. Same goes to the shower areas, individual cubicles in a common shower area, with no demarcation of gender. I felt so insecured.

Water temperature varies and some cubicles do get chocked, so good luck. Next to the shower area is the laundry where I had my nightmare. I need to turn on the water myself after putting the coins into the timer machine. Had I not been able to read chinese, I would not even know what to do. Worse, the dryer was out of order, but there were no signs to say that the machine was out of order. When I asked the staff what to do, since I have already washed my clothes and would be checking out the next day, the staff implied that it was my fault because they had plug out the wire from the timer machine to the dryer. I should ask them if the dryer is working or not.

Very bad customer service, until another staff offered the dryer in the main building for me to dry the clothes. It was bad. With all the notices pasted at the second building, reminding us to keep quiet, not to shower too late etc, they did not even paste a notice to say the dryer is not working. I am not impressed at all.

Yap, I would not recommend this hostel unless you are looking for somewhere cheap and have no other places to go. There is no breakfast offered, though walkable distance to some local eatery, supermarkets and mcdonald's. The lack of security is something I am concerned with. Oh yar, did I mention I found a hair on my bedsheet too?
Chokk says:
I had left from there very early !
Posted on: Nov 08, 2014